Son Under pressure

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Son Under pressure

Postby fiftyone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:46 pm

My son has immersed himself in his studies lately - he's in his 20's and doing a masters. He's also split up with his girlfriend but still has other friends who sees a few times a week. Today he told me he felt he was going over the edge over the past week. He described it as a feeling of being unreal and detatched. I suggested he takes a break from his studies - even just for a couple of days. Is there anything else I can advise him. Any supplements/vitamins he could take. He's also come off all dairy products over the last couple of months due to bad skin.
fiftyone
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:35 pm

I think your advice is great about the break but I would suggest going to the doctors, and tell him about the change in diet as drastic changes in diet can have effects
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:00 pm

That feeling of being unreal and detached is a classic sign of intense stress. It's upsetting when you feel like this, because you worry you're going mad, but it's actually totally normal. The recent stress in your son's life has just got to him, and no wonder. If he can ease back and cut out stress as much as possible he'll feel better in a while, though it may take six months.

There aren't really any supplements he can take - this is a psychological problem. A reputable multi-vitamin and mineral never hurts though, plus omega-3 oil. If he has cut out dairy, then depending on how much of it he ate before and what he has replaced it with he may be deficient in protein, calcium and vitamin D. The supplement will take care of the calcium and vit D, and he just needs to replace the protein with something else like eggs or fish. In the longer term he may want to consider a supplement that includes iodine, as this tends to be low in Britons who eat no dairy.

When you say 'bad skin' I assume you mean acne: there is a proven link between dairy consumption and acne, so he's right. However, the acne could also be down to stress.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fiftyone » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Bel and Snail Thanks so much. Snail the dietry information is particularly helpful. We have also booked him in for a cranial sacrum (?) massage next week which apparently helps with stress.

Thanks so much for your time and kind suggestions.

xx
fiftyone
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:32 pm

A massage sounds a great idea :D

I have been a vegan for about 10 years, so I'm particularly knowledgeable about dairy-free, meat-free issues - as a vegan you have to be, because even GP's don't know much about vegan diets. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Vegan websites, like that of the Vegan Society, also contain quite a lot of info about going dairy-free: there will usually be a section just on this.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Son Under pressure

Postby fiftyone » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Just going though the posts on the site here and just want to say my son quit dairy two years ago and his skin is well near perfect. Now its all soya milk, no cheese, a couple of eggs a week and meat/pulses and vegetables. Nuts, fresh fruit and cerials . Also found diary free cakes in the supermarket lately.
fiftyone
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Mental wellbeing