Night Terrors

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Night Terrors

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:19 pm

This isn't particularly worrying me, but I thought I just get a second opinion.

I have nightmares a LOT, every night, wake up shaking, sweaty etc. It's something I've come to accept.

Last night, I woke up screaming. Properly terrified, at the top of my lungs screaming, and then when I was awake I thought I could see someone standing at the end of my bed, and I kicked out, and it looked like they ducked, and i was screaming this whole time, and I turned the light on, and obviously noone was there.

This has happened about 3 times in about a year, which is why im not very concerned by it. But i dont like it, at all, and I wondered if anyone had any advice for me.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:23 pm

oh and, i usually remember my nightmares, but the 3 times this has happened ive not remembered what i was dreaming.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 pm

This could just be a normal dream, but what you've described sounds like a hypnagogic hallucination. These can apparently take many forms, but the certainty that someone is in the room is common, and is believed to be the origin of 'alien abductions' - when people believe someone has come into their bedroom, even if this isn't practically possible.

These things are quite common, and tend to go along with narcolepsy, but not always - my ex had borderline narcolepsy and occasional sleep paralysis, but never hallucinations, while my flatmate has no narcolepsy or sleep paralysis, but did used to suffer from hallucinations (in his case, he saw rolling geometric shapes, which is again apparently well-known). Humans have lots of strange issues to do with sleep, lol.

Unless this is causing you problems or you find it unbearable, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do want to do something, I guess your GP would be your first port of call. You could also read up on the study of sleep - it's complex area.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Night Terrors

Postby rufio89 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 pm

This is happening more and more now. It happens at least once a month, usually on, or around the time of my period. I'm not concerned about it as a health risk, but i do wake up the next day exhausted, and my boyfriend and my flatmate keep laughing at me... :oops:
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:58 pm

if it is becoming regular then maybe a visit to the doctors would be advisable
others things you could try no cheese before bed, cut down on any stimulants before bed like coffee etc - might help
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:13 pm

I'll mention it to the doctors next time I go.

I dont eat for hours before I go to bed, usually 4 or 5 hours, and I dont drink tea or coffee (or any caffeine) at all, and I dont even eat much sugar. It's almost certainly something hormonal since its around the time of my period... it's getting v. annoying. and he keeps laughing at me and screaming when i call him. :oops: :oops:
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:06 pm

I was reading about this today, because I had one the other day, and this is just for other peoples information really incase it's relevant to them.

It says there's a link in adults between low blood-sugar and night terrors, and I was actually saying the other day that I thought my blood sugar might be a little bit too low. The day I had a night-terror, infact, and I'd not eaten much that day.

I thought it was interesting.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 am

Being over tired can also be cause. You have had alot of stress lately so maybe that contributed.
I know you mentioned in another topic you use weed too (and im going to keep my anti-drug views to myself here and not go on a rant) but I do wonder if that may also cause you to have night terrors too.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:09 am

captainf wrote:I know you mentioned in another topic you use weed too

That is so occasional that I cant imagine it has any affect. Occasional I mean like maybe once every 6 months or so. If that.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 pm

I dont know, it was just an idea because drugs are dangerous and poison the body.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 am

Yeah, fair enough.

My Dad's diabetic, so I'm going to ask if I can borrow his old blood-sugar monitor thing and keep an eye on that, see if that makes any difference. If it's something as simple as making sure I eat at the right times, then that would be brilliant.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 am

Yes I think it's imprtant to eat regularly. I can't go more than a coupe of hours without eating something, however small or I get headaches and feel weird.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Mental wellbeing