Depression problems

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Depression problems

Postby VLVODAAHF » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Okay so here’s my problem to anyone who wants to hear it.
No sob stories - I haven’t had the easiest life. Up until about six months ago I’ve always believed that the things that have happened have made me a stronger person.
But then the past has come back to bite me again and new problems are beginning to arise.
I’m fourteen - fifteen this year.
The things I’ve had to deal with through the years and the fast growing up I’ve done is now taking its toll on me and I feel like just giving up - especially with life deciding to through more bad things at me recently.
Depression is obvious and I want to help it; problem is, I really don’t want to have to tell any of my family I want to go to the doctors and go on tablets. The main thing I want to know is can I go to the doctors on my own, and have tablets prescribed?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
VLVODAAHF
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Depression problems

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 pm

They're very unlikely to put you on antidepressents at your age. They dont like to do that until your brain is finished developing, so really over 20. Certainly not initially.
If you go to the doctor, they will refer you for counselling, which i imagine would be very helpful for you

In the meantime, talk to us, we'll give you all the support we can
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Pigglet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm

You are old enough to go to the doctors on your own so I would make an appointment and talk to your doctor, as rufio said, they would be more likely to send you for counselling than put you on medication.

I have found in the past that even when doctors do offer medication for depression, they ask you to attend group counselling at least as its widely recognised that talking about things with people who feel the same way (even when for different reasons) can help alot!

Can you tell us whats going on in your life at the moment that is making you feel this way?

We will all help you as much as we can!
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:29 pm

yes i think the conselling would be a great help but agree with the others we can try to help if you want to tell us anything
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby HappyGoLucky » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Go and get some counselling. I don't think it's very good to be completely dependent on pills. The good thing is that you actually are willing to find help, which makes things a whole lot better. Good luck to you.
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby _Chelsea_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 pm

I have suffered from depression from the age of 12, and have been in counselling since. I'd reccomend it fully for you - even if you don't feel it'll help you all the time, it does help a lot in the long run and you really can feel a difference after some sessions. Don't worry about medication, they did try me on two types at 14 & 15 but most counselors seem to use meds as a last resort and it isn't the first thing they try, and they need your permission anyway. Plus, as mentioned before it's not good to rely on pills, so even if you do end up on them - They won't leave you on them without some support, and will help you find a medication best suited to you. However it's honestly doubtful you'll be put on them, they'll try other things if you do decide to see a counselor.

Don't worry about what your family will think, think of yourself, because it sounds like you need to. Also don't worry about people thinking less of you, we're all just human after all, and this doesn't make you any less of a human being or worse of one, it'll just make you stronger. You must remember though, it's bound to be a turbulent ride, but you honestly will get there and you'll be so strong. Day by day, or even hour by hour is the way to do it. Try to stay focused, it won't stop your thoughts or feelings, but you won't be dwelling on them so much. I know it's much easier said than done, but you need to try to find something to help even just the tiniest bit.

I really can relate, so if you ever need anyone to talk to, just message me or anything, and I'm sure you can always rely on all the other people on here too :)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Evi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 am

I agree with the others on here about the counsellng-it does sound like it would help you if whatever has happened in your past is causing your current depression. I'm 19, and from experience I can tell you that, especially at your age, when you are still developing as a person, no matter how many pills you take, and how strong they are, although they WILL usually make you feel better to some extent, you may still have depression or other mental health problems, because you have not dealt with the real cause of your feelings-you may feel less depressed, but you cold then just move onto something else to take your mind away from the past, lke controlling eating habits, or binge drinking, etc. I think it is especially important to get this counselling now, while you are still growing-that way, you can hopefully feel not only lot happier, but more secure and confident in yourself as you grow up, and what 14 year old doesn't crave that feeling?? So yes I agree that medicine is definately an option to be considered, but please look into counsellingas well-it really does sound like you need it, and I think it would help you accept the past, move on from it, look forwards, and ultimately feel a lot better than pills on their own ever could.
Hope I helped-good luck! xxx
Evi
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby VLVODAAHF » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone, the replies were great.
Yes I agree now, counselling seems like a much better option, I was speaking to my friend the other day and she goes to the school counselling service but is going to one outside of school soon - she's asked me to go with her.
I'm not sure about that, I might do, but I think I would prefer to go on my own.
What do I, do I go to the doctors, explain my problem and then they'll send me off for counselling?
I'm really not sure, I have no idea :S
Thanks again everyone for your support, and thanks too Chelsea I'll bear that in mind.
VLVODAAHF
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:10 pm

well if the school has a conselling service this would be a qucik way of getting seen sooner and if you need further resources they can speed things up so I would start with them
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Mental wellbeing