Weaning off anti-depressants

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Weaning off anti-depressants

Postby Josie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 am

How should I do this? From taking one 20mg tab of Lexapro (aka Cipralex) a day, should I start taking half a tab a day? Or one tab one day, then half the next, and so on? How best to wean off them? I want to come off them as they are making me sick and have very low sex-drive etc. The cons outweigh the pros.
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Weaning off anti-depressants

Postby rufio89 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 am

Best thing you can do is speak to your doctor about it
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Weaning off anti-depressants

Postby DeadAlready » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah Josie really, if you mess with your medication it can have adverse effects because your seratonin levels have been controlled by your pills so long. Your doctor will have the best plan of action to have you lower your dosage till it's safe to come off them. They may lower it gradually to 10mg etc...

The danger of y'know, taking half a tab here and there is you cutting a pill in half isn't a medically accurate measurement of your meds. You don't wanna do more damage than good. Like just shutting off your computer with lots of programmes still open.

:) Hope this helps.
DeadAlready
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Mental wellbeing