Tips please!

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Tips please!

Postby Josie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:45 pm

I am coming off my anti-depressants (which I did really need for a lot of reasons: 1, I have always been a depressive kind of person, used to have anorexia, etc have trouble being rational about myself, can be paranoid, etc, 2, I was involved in a horrific accident which left me with a lot of guilt for life) I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here, what I really would like would be some tips perhaps, on how to keep my morale up after I've come off the anti-depressants. I want to keep myself relatively happily, and rational and stable, and de-stressed! I think everything to death and tend to dwell on things, and I would love some tips on how other people might keep themselves calm, stable and in control of their emotions and mood. I was never diagnosed as to what kind of depression I've had all my life (my mum thinks it's 'mild bi-polar'! but I haven't a clue), but I am in a happy situation now with a wonderful supportive partner and I think I can manage without the meds. I want to be able to cope without them, and to keep balanced. I am a busy mother of 11-month-old twins, and rarely get a lot of time to myself.
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Tips please!

Postby morris mouse » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Josie wrote: I am in a happy situation now with a wonderful supportive partner and I think I can manage without the meds. I want to be able to cope without them, and to keep balanced.

"Josie" It's great to hear that you believe,that,you've improved so much you can manage without the meds. :) Being in a happy situation now with a wonderful supportive partner would help you do this. :D

However........ before you do anything,please go and see (& check with) a doctor. Perhaps,counselling,too.
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:06 am

morris mouse wrote:However........ before you do anything,please go and see (& check with) a doctor. Perhaps,counselling,too.

I agree.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ennis81 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

I agree you should maybe have some counselling, it helped me be a more positive person and realise some things were out of my control so I didn't feel as depressed and helpless as I used too... I also tried to keep really busy when I came off the Meds, get plenty of sleep a good diet and try and have some fun too with and without the kids :) Good luck and if you come off them and your feelin bad again just go back and see your doctor Xxxxxxx
ennis81
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby miaow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 am

It's really important that you wean your self off the medication, less chance of a relapse.

St John's wort is suppose to be good and works like an anti-depressant but without all the side effects. Look into this before trying it though, it's only what I've heard so may be an old wives tale.

Keeping busy, rather than sitting in works for me, if I sit in I get bored then my mood becomes depressed. Getting out for fresh air, at lunch I use to stay indoors at work, now I go for a walk, even if only for 10mins, just to get some sunlight and fresh air.

Have things to look forward to, plan girly shopping trips, wkends away, etc. Always helps me if there is something on the horizon to look forward to.

As the others have said, I agree, counselling is a good idea, is very therapeutic to talk about issues and life in general I think, helps you deal with events and not let them be a root which grows and causes problems later on.

Really well done though for getting through it all, I've been there myself and there is nothing worse. Keep looking foward with your chin up and a big smile on your face!! x
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Mental wellbeing