Not sleeping

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Not sleeping

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:00 am

I find it hard to sleep, the only advice I've ever really managed to find is:

Avoid caffiene
Get plenty of exercise
Dont eat late at night
Keep your room tidy
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed May 06, 2009 9:09 am

Black out curtains help me.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 am

If your partner's not helping, perhaps you could sleep alone for a while? I can't sleep in a shared bed at all, every movement of the other person wakes me up. In fact I generally can't even fall asleep in the first place in a shared bed - every time I start drifting off, the other person will move slightly and that's it, I'm awake again.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ennis81 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:24 am

Hiya hun,

I suffer from insomnia every so often, I use an eyemask, (you can buy lovely ones in boots :) )
and you can buy herbal sleeping tablets called calms over the counter in the chemist (they are mild and non addictive) you just take 3 about an hour before bedtime, they ALWAYS seem to do the trick for me.

:wink:
ennis81
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 am

ennis81 wrote:I use an eyemask
it's the same as black out curtains.

It just keeps all the light away from your eyes.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:00 am

I just find little things like changing the sheets, make sure my rooms a nice temperature (for me that's very warm, but for my boyfriend it's freezing cold, so a bit of a pain).

Also, if you're lying awake in bed for more than about half an hour, get up and do something for 5-10 minutes, just like read a book or something.

I know it's exercise for me though. I find it really hard to sleep when I'm sitting down all day, I dont use up any energy, and yet I'm tired ALL the time.

You could always get some bedtime exercise, see if that helps ;)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby caren » Wed May 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Rufio's got a good point about the bedroom exercise, my boyfriend has a big problem with insomnia and it seems to do the trick, although maybe he's just telling me that!
There's a paul mckenna hypnosis cd you can get to help you sleep, i'm not necessarily a big believer in hypnosis, but i think this is good as its soothing to listen to, it stops your mind wandering to distracting thoughts that keep you awake, and it drowns out any contented sleeping noises your partner might be making while you toss and turn!
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Rufio's got a good point about the bedroom exercise, my boyfriend has a big problem with insomnia and it seems to do the trick, although maybe he's just telling me that!

haha, I actually use this on him, that I know it makes HIM go to sleep, so if I'm tired and he's all restless, I'll have sex with him to knock him out ;)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby caren » Wed May 06, 2009 3:21 pm

I know what you mean, not that i have a low sex drive but he def wouldnt be getting it so often but for this! I dont have that much of a problem sleeping myself but i certainly get less now that i'm sharing a bed with an insomniac! Its like he waits until that point when i'm just about to drop off to sleep, and then i get the nudge and "are you awake?" So annoying!!
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed May 06, 2009 3:27 pm

caren wrote: I dont have that much of a problem sleeping myself but i certainly get less now that i'm sharing a bed with an insomniac! Its like he waits until that point when i'm just about to drop off to sleep, and then i get the nudge and "are you awake?" So annoying!!

Well then he's just being plain rude if he keeps asking if you are awake.

My bf is a heavy sleeper, I tend to wake up early and I just have to lie there and try and get comfortable until he wakes up (his bed is pushed against a wall -my side- and it's a shared house so I wouldn't want to go and wait downstairs anyway).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby caren » Wed May 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Ah he's not that bad to be fair, i'm prob not the easiest person to sleep beside!

Arsenic_candy, i reckon your sleep pattern is way off, you feel like a snooze now but wont sleep tonight, prob cause you get over tired by the time you go to bed at night. Supposedly the trick to keep your body clock right is to get up at the same time every day regardless of how late you were up the night before. If you're really wrecked go to bed a bit earlier but always get up the same time.

And exercise is good but not if you do it in the few hours before you go to bed. You'd actually be more awake. Half hour walk at lunch time or before work is ideal though.
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Where do you work Arsenic? could you walk up to the arboretum at lunch and wander around there? At least it's all nice and pretty?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby caren » Wed May 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Thats probably your problem so arsenic, getting up at 6 one day and 10 the next, your body clocks prob all over the place!

Although i agree, no way would i be able to get up at 6 every day! Some sunday mornings i could be only going to bed at that time after a night out!
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu May 07, 2009 9:20 am

I get up at 6.20am on weekdays and around 9 on weekends if I stay at my boyfriends, earlier if I'm at home.

When you aren't on until later try getting up at 9am, even on weekends. You need to establish some sort of pattern, my dad works 3 shifts, one week = 7am til 3pm ish, next week is 2pm until 10pm, 3rd week is 9.30pm until 7am.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Peanut1977 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 pm

I suffered from insomnia for around 3 months, often not sleeping for weeks at a time.....pure hell!!! I literally tried everything. In the end I went to a hypnotherapist and it worked a treat. However I still had to go to the doctors and see a regular counsellor as I was depressed at the time. However even though now (hopefully!) I'm over all that and generally sleep better, i still have nights I can't sleep. The only things that ever work for me are: reading before bed - try reading something that really grabs you, to the point where you're absorbed. This will turn all your thoughts and attention away from what's bothering you and will also make you naturally sleepy. Also I write down all my thoughts, just get it all out - as and when it appears in your head, even if you're writing down your deepest thoughts and "I must send that email to that company tomorrow" pops in. Thirdly (and this is going to sound very weird!) I often try to 'kid' my body into thinking it's about to go to sleep: you know when you are about to go to sleep and your body spasms? I do that deliberately and eventually I drift off...sounds totally weird I know but this is actually the most effective method!
Good luck, I so know what you're going through! :)
Peanut1977
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Next

Return to Mental wellbeing