My gran has dementia

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: My gran has dementia

Postby spacegirl » Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 pm

i'm very sorry to hear about your gran, i went through the same thing with my gran a few years ago. i think the best thing to do is stay positive, we found that it helped gran when we all went in to see her and sat and chatted to each other and to her just like normal, i think the familiarity of the situation brought her round a bit.
It is heartbreaking to see a loved one go like this, but as someone else said at least your gran doesn't know what's happening to her. stay positive for your own sake and the rest of your family, and just remember the happy memories you had with her
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby littlemiss_may » Tue May 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Tuesday the 12th May, my family and I we went on holiday to Cyprus (we had it booked for ages and were going to postpone it but as my Nan seemed to be doing so much better and my Uncle said we should still go, so we still went).
My Uncle went to visit my Gran every day and would call my Mum or Aunt and tell them how she was doing. He told us after our first week that the hospital said she was doing so well, they sent her back to her care home but the following day, the home said she still wasn't right and sent her back to hospital.
My uncle went to visit her to be told she had fluid in her lungs and was refusing to eat or drink because it hurt so much. We got back from holiday Sunday night and my Mum and Aunt went to see her yesterday and she was really bad. She couldn't talk, eat or drink, her tounge was yellow and she kept rubbing her chest with a painful expression on her chest. She's not able to cough to get rid of the fluid and the hospital have said they don't want to put a tube down her throat as it will cause her stress, I'm really worried that she could develope pneumonia....
littlemiss_may
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby spacegirl » Tue May 26, 2009 2:18 pm

It's good that you went on holiday, you need to look after yourselves as well at a time like this. I hope you're holding up well little miss may i'm happy your gran has such a great family around her.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby littlemiss_may » Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am

My parents went to see her last night and the hospital have put her on oxygen (tubes through her nose). My Mum said she wasn't good at all, she didn't speak or open her eyes and my Dad was quite shocked when he saw her.

My Mum said "I don't mean to worry you, but I think you may have to tell work about Gran." I haven't told them because I like to pretend this isn't happening. I spoke to my boyfriend and he suggested I should tell my boss about her but everytime I think about it, tears build up in my eyes and I push it to the back of my mind. I don't know what to do....
littlemiss_may
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 am

You could always write a letter to your boss or e-mail them. Saying it was too hard to speak in person, but you just wanted them to be aware of the situation that she isn't very well and that you may need to take a few sudden days off if she deteriorates.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby littlemiss_may » Fri May 29, 2009 2:06 pm

I told work on Tuesday about her - they were really nice.

I'm going to see her tonight - My Mum and Aunt had a meeting with the Doctor yesterday. He said my Nan has fluid on her lungs because her heart is failing and it's not able to pump the fluid around her body anymore.

If she's able to drink and eat by herself, he said (depending on how she is) he's more than happy to take her off the drip & oxygen and for her to go back to the Nursing Home, but at the moment, she doesn't have the strength to swallow a teaspoon of water....

He explained that if they wanted to, they could try to transfer her to a Care Home that could cope with her on a drip and oxygen (if we wanted that) but we would also need to consider her quality of life. He went on and explained that we could keep my Nan on the drip but she couldn't stay on it indefinitely....

My Aunt asked him if we took her off the drip, how long would she last and he replied "You're looking at about 24 hours." (So really, the drip is the only thing that's keeping her going...)

They have got another meeting on Wednesday to see how she's going and if she's shown no improvement, our family would need to get together and discuss what's going to be the best thing for her....
littlemiss_may
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Aww, I'm pleased work were nice to you; at least they might be more understanding and not ask so many questions if you need to take urgent time off work.

littlemiss_may wrote:They have got another meeting on Wednesday to see how she's going and if she's shown no improvement, our family would need to get together and discuss what's going to be the best thing for her....

It'll be the hardest decision you all make for her. Fingers crossed she shows some sign of improvement before then :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby peecee » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 pm

littlemiss_may's gran passed away this morning. She didn't ask me to post this, I just thought you would want to know.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:09 am

Yes, thanks for that, Pee.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:29 am

Aww I'm very sorry to hear of your news littlemiss_may. xx :grouphug:
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Previous

Return to Mental wellbeing