Could CBT help me?

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Could CBT help me?

Postby Peanut1977 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 am

Hi there I'm 31 years old and after doing lots of soul seaching have realised that every problem in my life has boiled down to the fact that I have very little self esteem and self confidence. I literally can't stand up to people or even ask what I want, instead I seethe and bottle it all in until I explode (in private) and cry it all out. I realise that my upbringing had a lot to do with it: my mum had zero confidence due to my real dad beating her, and my stepdad was just a total bully. To this day I cannot stand up to him even though he freely tells me where I have gone wrong in life, and if I'm excited about something or doing something new, he'll barely acknowledge it, if he does it is to ridicule or slate it. I am getting to the point now where personally and professionally this is getting in the way and I desperately want to do something about it. Do you think a non-assertive person can become assertive? I've been looking into CBT but have this inherent belief that, as I have been this way since I was born, that this is me and nothing can change that. Any advice/tips greatly appreciated x
Peanut1977
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Could CBT help me?

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 am

Peanut1977 wrote:I've been looking into CBT but have this inherent belief that, as I have been this way since I was born, that this is me and nothing can change that. Any advice/tips greatly appreciated x

Do you not think that it is worth a try, would you rather try and not succeed than not try and always wonder what if? I would, at least you can be proud at yourself for trying it.

You gave some brilliant advice in another post; I know you said it was your job but still it was more advice and more help than I'd ever recieved in my years at school and uni and it wasn't even aimed at me. Seriously if you'd been my careers advisor it would have been brilliant. That is conficence, you have confidence in what you advise :).
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby pinkroses » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 am

I think its definetly worth a try, I am very shy and reserved as well, and I had to (after a break-up with my sons Dad) have counselling, she put me in contact with someone that is doing assertiveness trainging and you should and it has had such a big impact in my life, which I never thought it would have but you get back what you put in to it, my life has definetly in a lot of ways turned round for the better.
pinkroses
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 am

CBT helped my daughter after a serious lose of confidence becasue of bullying
CBT is particularly helpful as it gives you constructive techniques to help yourself.
I would highly recommend it
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Peanut1977 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Hey, thanks dipsydoodlenoodle! That's very sweet of you to say, and you're right I should have confidence in myself with my job. I will definitely give CBT a try - got nothing to lose hey! And thanks to the other post-ers! x
Peanut1977
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby _han » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 am

I have used CBT for a while to help improve my confidence, it really does work!
_han
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Mental wellbeing