Anxiety

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Anxiety

Postby Kayx » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello all. Haven't been on here for a while but wanted to share my past 5 months with you all! I have been back and forward to the doctors about 4 or 5 times and the last time I went had a long A4 list of symptoms I had been feeling. I have had blood and urine tests which show nothing of concern so have now been diagnosed with stress and anxiety! I cannot believe this, I have always been such a happy person most of the time and this has really knocked me for six as sometimes I feel fine and others I don't. :cry: I was prescribed anti-depressants,took one,felt spaced out and got scared about becoming dependent so am going it my own way. Just wondered if anyone had experienced this and had any stories to tell? I went to a wedding on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it then felt like rubbish the next day. Today I feel fine but have floaters and a heavy head and neck. Am trying chamomile tea which seems to be helping but need some advice please.

Thanks x x
Kayx
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Anxiety

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:32 pm

I get tenion in my neck when i am stressed and massage really helps this
Kerrie24 suggested in another thread that i wirte down things that are worrying me and that has helped me loads with my aniexty at the moment, I have major stuff going on that I have no control over
My daughter went to a cognitive therapist after a bad bullying incident and she was told only to worry at a set time of day, if she started to worry other times she must agree wiht hersefl not to think about it again until the set time, often the worry had completely disppeared or resolved itself by then
Do you know the casue of your aniexty and is it anything yolu can do anythign about
i would seriously consider CBT or conselling if it is effect your health to the extent of a list the length of A4 paper
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _han » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:46 am

I know exactly how your feeling, I've done exactly the same thing, been to the doctors dozens of times for tests etc.. but found out that I also had anxiety & stress. Its been a year since I got told this, and I do still have it now but I've found ways to cope & deal with it better. cognitive therapy is brilliant, also counselling. I found that counselling helped the most as it helps you find out what the cause of the anxiety was and how you can overcome it. Hope you start to feel better soon!
_han
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

_han wrote:cognitive therapy is brilliant, also counselling. I found that counselling helped the most as it helps you find out what the cause of the anxiety was and how you can overcome it. Hope you start to feel better soon!

I agree with this. I feel that while CBT can be very helpful, it teaches you ways of managing the problem rather than fixing it. Of couse it is often essential to learn ways of managing oneself first. After all, if we can't function then we never going to feel able to start looking at the root cause. When you're fire-fighting, you don't have the energy for anything else. That's my attitude towards anti-depressants: if you really need them to function (look after yourself, hold down a job, etc.) then give them a go - but I don't recommend them as a solution. And if you can successfully manage without, do so.
Richard Lawton
Richard
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby candychick16 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Most important thing - keep talking.

Do not hide this, do not be in anyway ashamed - it affects so many people. When I was told I was suffering from anxiety and depression my first reaction was 'me? no way....that only happens to people who have a lot wrong in their lives...'
Talking is a HUGE help, and confiding in someone who you know will be there for you is too. Even better is therapy - these people are professionaly trained to help you. Use the service if you need to. There's no need to take this on alone.
I've had to learn to say NO also. Stop oragnising everything for everyone, stop trying to please everyone - be a little selfish sometimes! Have that lie in on saturday, big deal! Forget to post that letter, oh well! Teach yourself how to do nothing.....lessen your responsibilities - this will lessen your worries.
With the proper help this will get better, but it takes time. You also have to learn a new skill - how to control it and this takes times. But you will haeva great sense of acheivment when you do. And a new ability to help others who have this problem.

Stay positive. :)
candychick16
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby shaz26 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:25 pm

This is definately something I can relate to, I am extremely anxious, I'm even meant to be on Xanax and anti-depressants too but like you I don't like taking them. Even the strongest ones don't seem to work on me or they make me feel like a zombie where I feel ylthe same inside but outside I'm not in control of my emotions if you get what I mean. Getting in touch with a good counciller can help. Ask your GP to refer you. Going it alone works for some people but I'd give the anti-depressants a fair go, some can take up to 6 months to start working, if they don't agree with you tell your doctor. Some people do swear by them so it's worth a go.

I know it's a cliche but eating better can also help. More vitamin C seems to do the trick with some people. I joined a yoga class which made me feel better so you could give that a try. The visualisations and relaxation techniques are excellent.

Hope it all works out. Xx
shaz26
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Mental wellbeing