Miserable

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Miserable

Postby whoopsie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:26 pm

I feel so down at the moment. I've been unemployed for almost 6 months. I just can't seem to get a job. I've applied for hundreds, on agency websites, through recruitment pages in the local paper, direct through local companies websites and signed up with agencies. I have to go to the skanky job centre twice a week and i hate it. I have 2 loans which are both 2 installments in arrears, my boyfriend is stressed because of it and i can tell he's annoyed at me for it. I applied for a receptionist role at a vets yesterday. I want the job SO BAD. Not just cos it's a job, but it's working alongside animals. I really took my time with the application and my cv but i just don't think they're going to call me in for an interview. No one does. I never hear back from anyone. If anything, it's a letter of rejection, but even that's rare. I do some cash in hand work once a fortnight, but £50 doesn't go far. I hate this. To top it off, cos i've been sitting on my bum all this time, i've put on over a stone in weight. Not that it matters too much, cos i was underweight. But i haven't put on weight in over 6 years so not having any of my clothes fit me (and no money to replace them) makes me feel rubbish. I feel fat. I have to wear my boyfriends old jeans. I have nothing girlie to wear. I used to live in skinny jeans, now i can't get them over my thighs. I've put on around 3 inches. It just feels like one thing after another and i've had enough.
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Miserable

Postby Skarlet » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:39 pm

I know how you feel whoopsie, I spent ages trying to find this job I am currently in, and although I was working, I hated my job and it made everything really difficult. Has anyone looked over your cv for you? Might help to get a fresh pair of eyes on it. To see if there is anything you can improve on.

Its awful when you can't fit into your clothes. I think the only real changes you can make are to go out, walking every day, maybe go to the library to look for jobs instead of sitting at home. Have you spoken to the loan providers? I would go see the CAB and get them frozen whilst you get a job, it will take the pressure off.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 pm

yeah, I agree, get someone to look over your CV. You can send it me if you want I'll take a look.

I know youre strugglin Whoops, just try to keep your chin up, you'll find something soon and then you'll feel SO much better. There's unfortunately a lot of people in your position, and it really sucks but all you can really do is just keep trying.

*hugs*
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Re the clothes thing, look in the local paper for any jumble sales in your area. They are pretty common in most places. It's usually 20p to get in, then the clothes will be around 20-30p each. Get there early (at least 10 minutes before it opens) and be prepared to elbow the dealers out of the way if you see something you like. You really can get some good things, and will definitely be able to find something better than your boyfriend's old jeans to wear. You won't be able to try things on though.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:45 am

Yes agree get your CV looked at
If you have been rejected ask if they can give you any feedback on why
Try getting into volunteer work, it looks great on your cv, gets you out and can often open up doors becasue you are in contact with people all day
Definately contact CAB about the loans and get the payments either stopped, reduced and the interest frozen
If your clothes don't fit try selling them on ebay or do car boot sales. Ask people for anything they no longer want and sell it. It's suprising what people will buy. My daughter did this for a few weeks and earnt between £40 - £65 each car boot.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby katie86 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Don't give up on the jobs front!

If the vets receptionist job is one you REALLY want then phone them up and ask if they've seen your CV, even go in and see them!
The problem is at the moment they must be absolutely swamped with CVs from people well qualified for the job.
Ringing up and asking whether they have seen your CV will make you look a hell of a lot more enthusiastic than the rest of the people in the pile who sent 30 of the same CV round everywhere and then did nothing.
Why don't you ring them up and tell them you are really keen to get the job, LOVE the idea of working with animals, and would love to come in for the day to do a trial?
Also tailor each CV and covering letter to the job you are applying for, don't send the same one to everyone.

On the clothes front, have you tried ebay? Loads of topshop jeans for example were coming up for between £5-10, some hadn't even been worn.
katie86
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby LME79 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Definitely look into BelBel's suggestion of volunteering - also, don't rule out work experience. A good website for volunteering is http://www.do-it.org.uk/ - I don't know the best one for work experience but if you type it into Google, loads of sites come up.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby brfc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:59 am

i work at a hospital and there always looking for volunteers to help out on the wards,in the coffee shop or as guides around the hospital. might be worth trying there if theres one near you. you might not get any money for it but its something to get up for in the morning and it,ll keep you fit too :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Mental wellbeing