Depressed...

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Depressed...

Postby sarah_20 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 am

Heya!

Im feeling really depressed and down recently having had problems with my boyfriend, friends going back to uni, being stuck at work etc and i just feel unhappy nearly all the time and lonely.

I think im stuck in a rut and i dont know how to cheer myself up and get back on my feet again... Life just feels like its passing my by and im only 20!

Help!
sarah_20
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Depressed...

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 am

Ok what problems do you have with your b/f?
Yes your friends going back to uni is a blow but you7 can keep in touch and use this opportunity to try and make other friends.
Take up a hobby that will get you meeting new peopleWhat do you mean by being stuck at work?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Sarah,

I think everyone feels a bit like you do sometimes - if you feel stuck in a rut you have to do something to get out of it. It's a bit difficult to offer specific advice when you haven't really gone into what the issue is with your friends/going back to uni/work (I know what the issue with your boyfriend is tho ;) ). Is there anything you can do to sort any of the above out though? Could you look for a new job? Could you contact your friends to talk things through?

Is there something you can do to cheer yourself up - perhaps have some time off work and go away somewhere? Even if you can't afford that, perhaps you could still have the time off and make sure you spend it doing things you enjoy? Even things like taking up a new hobby, going for a good ol' shop, getting your hair cut etc. can help cheer you up.

I don't know what you're like, but sometimes when things feel a bit on top of me I find it useful to get organised e.g. write a to do list, prioritise things etc. It makes me feel more in control and therefore less stressed.

Hope this helps - might be useful if you explain yourself a bit more though :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

P.S. Sorry, think I've mis-understood re: the friends thing, I imagined up a comma between the friends and going back to uni thing and didn't connect the two, haha.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sarah_20 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 pm

I wrote a post "Is my boyfriend cheating on me?" and "Should i be worried? im so confused" basically saying that im not sure if he is being honest about our relationship and being faithful to me, and the other day he met up with an ex etc etc.

Being stuck at work i mean my jobs ok and im reasonably happy with it but its the same thing day after day and i didnt go to uni because i thought it was the right decision and im still pretty sure it is but when my friends are off having fun etc and im at work i feel really down. With my friends, while they were back home during the summer i had been really caught up with me and my bf problems that even though i did see them it wasnt as much as i would have liked because i either didnt feel like it because i was feeling down or my bf and i were trying to sort out our problems.

Thanks RagDoll, shopping and hair cut does make me feel better! I have a holiday in 3 weeks with my bf which i should be looking forward to but not really but maybe that will help me relax abit and at the same time resolve bf problems. I like the idea of writing things down hopefully that will de-stress me. Thanks!
sarah_20
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:13 pm

If you wnat to imrove your job prospects you could always do an evening course in college
I think the problems with your b/f are the main thing dragging you down. If after your holiday you still don't feel right with him maybe it's time to split if the realatonship is not giving you what you really want and you don't trust himCan you arrange a weekend to go visit your uni friends
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby sarah_20 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Yep i think i have to agree with you Bel Bel! I have said to myself if after the hols i still cant trust him that will be it. But everytime i think its going to end i feel so sad because i do love him SO much and iv known him over 4years and we were such good mates before we started going out and saw each other all the time, and when i think that will all be over i cant bear it.

I have mentioned to one of my best friends to go and visit her at uni, but i dont know if it will actually happen.....
sarah_20
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Make sure you do go and visit your friend at uni - I did that with a few of my friends and had a brilliant time - you can go shopping together, have a good night out etc. etc. Why don't you just suggest a date to visit and get the ball rolling?

Also, it's useful to remember that whilst they will be having fun at uni, it's not always a bed of roses. They will no doubt be stressed with essays, dissertations etc. etc. It's a different pressure to work, but it's pressure all the same.

With regards to your friends, if you do break up with your boyfriend, you're going to need them, so make sure you do make the effort with them!

Re: your job, if you think it's ok and you're reasonably happy with it, to be honest I think you're kinda lucky. A lot of people couldn't even say something that positive about their jobs (me being one of them!).
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Mental wellbeing