Lie about small, regardless things.

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Lie about small, regardless things.

Postby ThisIsATempo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:58 am

Hi, can anyone give me some advice please?

Basically, I lie about near enough -anything-.
No matter how small, or big it is, I'll exaggerate or extend it by lying for no reason at all. It's really starting to annoy me because it's -not- how I want to live my life.

An example or two of what I would do are:

"Oh, yeah man. I accidentally set the camera on continuous shot so it took like 80 photos, but I just deleted them all" There was no continuous shot on my camera.

or

"Aw, mate, I literally had to walk like 5 miles to get to college this morning because the bus broke down. It was ridiculous."

These lies are completely pointless, yet I still say stupid things like these.

I guess you could psych- analyise this by saying that I don't find my life 'fulfilling' or simply that I just like talking, but I life is great for me at the minute, so I have no idea why I keep sub-consciously lying!

Has anyone had something similar - or some advice for what I can do?

Thanks!
ThisIsATempo
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Lie about small, regardless things.

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:16 am

Maybe your personality is one where you always like to be the centre of attention, and embellishing what would normally be an everyday story comparible with your friends' with something that makes it quite extraordinary is your way of achieving that?
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 pm

I always exagerate everything and people who n=know me find it funny. I see it as my way to get attention but I don't blantly lie about anything.
All my exagerations are very obvious like "the bus broke down and it took me about three years to get home and my feet were so battered they came off when I pulled my boots off" - so very obvious exageration.
You probably do wnat to be the centre of attention and find you get the best reactions from people when you are like this and then it becomes a vicious cicle.
However actively lying will get you caught out and then no one will take you seriously when you have something important to say
Perhaps have a few jokes ready for times of boredom or when you feel left out of a conversation
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:17 pm

My boyfriend does this or did this....He did it for confidence but he said he never got told off for lying and was never told lying was wrong; he only learnt from making a big mistake recently.

Either you actively change yourself or you wait and hurt someone you love and then you will learn. It does sound like you want to change yourself; why don't you set yourself targets to begin with and see how it goes.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Mental wellbeing