Overweight and depressed :(

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Overweight and depressed :(

Postby whoopsie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 pm

I checked my BMI today, and it is 25 which means I’m overweight. I’ve never been overweight in my life. This time last year I was underweight. I have put on 2 and a half stone.

I’m so embarrassed with myself and I just want to go home and hide so no one can see how disgusting I look. I always have a bloated stomach (IBS – I’ve started cutting out dairy again as this upsets my stomach) and I am always conscious of it cos sometimes I can look a few months pregnant when it’s really bad. The trousers I am wearing today are a bit tight so I have a bit of muffin top too.

I weighed myself last night, and I was 9st 12, but the battery in them is dying so it could be wrong but I think it is quite likely accurate. I’m 5ft 2. I’m getting married in September and although my dress hides my hips and tummy I am starting to feel the pressure. I go to the gym just once a week, I know I need to up it but I feel so hideous I don’t want to be seen. I know I need to cut down my portion size and I have started that today. I just wish I could lose all the weight now. I’m more than happy to be anywhere between 8st and 9st but nearly ten at my height is horrible.

I used to be so slim. I feel like people are looking at me in disgust and judging my size. I feel sick when I eat cos I know what I’m eating is full of calories and fat which isn’t helping me much due to my emetophobia (at least I’ll never be bulimic). I won’t deny that starving myself has crossed my mind.

Ugh. I just feel so gross
:cry:
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Overweight and depressed :(

Postby Skarlet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi Whoopsie,

Sorry you are feeling this way, I really sympathise, I am currently 13stone6, and 5'6, and this is after losing half a stone! :o

You really shouldn't starve yourself, its not healthy and you might not actually lose any weight, just change the way you are eating. Start eating lots of vegetables, and soups and cut down on the junky things you have been eating, and maybe up the visits to the gym, or don't park so close to work, or walk instead of getting the bus.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Overweight and depressed :(

Postby RagDoll » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Whoopsie, I totally sympathise too. Especially with how you've put on weight in a relatively short period of time and feel like people are looking at you like you're disgusting, which I am not saying you are lol, just saying I feel exactly like that too. I reckon I have put on at least 2 and a half stone since I started seeing my boyfriend, so that's basically a stone a year, ha (great).

Please don't starve yourself tho - as Skarlet said, that doesn't actually work as your body will go into starvation mode and just store all the calories and fat that it can, which means when you start eating normally, you don't burn it off as much as normal.

I know it's a bore and a long process (God, I'd kill for a quick-fix) but the only thing you can do is cut back on the junk food, eat smaller portions of healthier food and get more active. If you need a bit of moral support/encouragement, you could always consider joining Weight Watchers/Slimming World, but if you're not up for that, have you got a friend that can actively encourage you, or even better go on a diet together? It's nice to have some support sometimes.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Mental wellbeing