Eating my emotions??

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Eating my emotions??

Postby emmylou » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, so please excuse me if this problem has already been discussed.
Basically, i've had food issues from about 3 years now and i'm fed up of it! Please bare with me while i explain.
When it first started, i was naive, had just started university and was trying to impress a (stupid) boy. It started off eating more healthily that i normally would, doing more exercise and skipping the occassional meal. That eventually turned into something more serious, and for about a year, i went through phases of restriction, purging and fasting. Then i got counselling and the destructive behaviour slowed down and then stopped.
However since then things have, in my opinion, got worse. I cannot, for the life of me, stop obsessing about food. I think about food all the time, i know the calorie content of absolutely everything, and worse still i've gained 2 stone since my eating disorder days (2 years ago) and i feel repulsive and ashamed of myself for not being able to control my weight. Now, i don't really care as much about what i weigh, i just want to stop being so pre-occupied with food, it's literally ruining my life. This is how i currently work things; i'll have fruit for breakfast and salad for the other meals of the day. That way, when i inevitably snacks on unhealthy foods later on, things sort of balance out and i won't gain weight at least. I have to resort to sneaking to the kitchen and taking food because i feel so hungry ALL the time, but i can't be because i've eaten loads!
I can't go on like this - i've heard theories that obsessive eating is a quick fix way to deal with your emotions. I totally agree. However, i don't know how else to deal with them, and when i think i'm hungry, nothing else will do but food. I feel so embarassed about this, and i would be humiliated to have to talk to someone about it. But really, i'm at breaking point. Like i said, the excess weight i can deal with, but i just want food to stop (excuse the pun) consuming my life!!! ]
Please help :cry:
emmylou
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Eating my emotions??

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I think you should go for some congnative bahaviour therapy or some hypnosis or maybe both. Alot of cognitive therapist can do hypnosis too
I don't think there is a way you are going to be able to get this under control yourself especially as you have had this problem for a long time
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Mental wellbeing