Scared of living in a house :$

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Scared of living in a house :$

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 am

This is REALLY silly.

I've lived in a flat for nearly 3 years now, small flats on the top floor of buildings, where my room is close to the front door. Next week, I move into a house, where obviously our room is upstairs. I keep panicking about this! I know it's REALLY silly, but it's been so long since i've lived like that, that I'm lying in bed at night worrying about what if someone breaks in or something. I cant imagine how i used to sleep in my parents house where my room was on the 2nd floor!

Have I gone completely crazy?? I think it's just because I live in the city now and I'm so used to it being loud outside with fights and stuff.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Scared of living in a house :$

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 am

It's a perfectly understandable worry to have.

The fact is though that modern houses with double glazing are becoming increasingly difficult to break in to and criminals are becoming more opportunistic, e.g. trying doors and windows. So the best thing you can do is develop an evening routine. Once you're both in for the night check the doors and windows and turn it into a habit.

If you see yourself staying there long term, say a year or more, you could invest a few hundred pounds in an alarm system. You can pay however much you want for one of them, from £20 for a fake box that fits outside to thousands for a sophisticated system. At least then you'd know you were safe.

You'll get used to it though i'm quite sure. It'll take time to get used to the noises the house has. Remember most noises are heard at night because everything else is so quiet so try to chill out and find a rational explanation for it.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 pm

TBH I think I'd be more scared living close to the door. I have a theory that the further away from the door I am; the less likely to be hurt I am.

Imagine your house is like a flat; you will still be sleeping upstairs (like your flat).

You'll get in and be absolutely fine with it and wonder what you were worried about.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby retrochav » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Its probably part of a wider fear you have of moving. But it settles in time

Why not buy a rape alarm and have it by your bed, that way if anything were to happen it would make one hell of a noise. I used to put a chair by my front door to slow intruders down, but eventually realised it just slowed me down in the mornings!

Burglars prefer not to be disturbed so are far less likely to break in if they think some one is at home. A light on downstairs and a talk style radio on fairly low is good if you are really worried.

Time generally heals this sort of anxiety, but hopefully some of these tips will give you a restful night.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Mental wellbeing