Being silly but I'm scared :(

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Being silly but I'm scared :(

Postby rufio89 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 am

Hello,

I wanted calming down a bit today, I'm feeling quite shaken up, and I KNOW I'm being silly but I needed to get it off my chest.

Last night, my boyfriend went out with his friends, so I was on my own for the first evening since we moved in. I was having a nice evening, I had a bath and I ordered some takeaway and was relaxing and enjoying the evening.

About 8.30 I got a creepy phonecall, from a guy who was heavy breathing down the phone, said some "sex stuff" and said "I can see you" for a minute or so until I hung up. He called back 4 times after that, some of them he was talking, some of them he was just breathing down the phone. I closed all the blinds in the house and checked all the doors were locked and although I was scared, I convinced myself that it was just bad luck and he probably just dialed a random number and I was the unlucky target that evening. My boyfriend got home at 11.15ish and I got one call after that which my bf answered and told him to leave me alone. The called promptly hung up as soon as he heard a mans voice.

I was quite shaken up and it took me ages to get to sleep, but by the time I woke up this morning I was feeling fine.

Then I got to work this morning and at bang on 9am, the woman I deal with at the letting agency called me and said she'd had a call this morning to say that the police were called to our house yesterday afternoon as someone was trying to break in through the bay window beneath our bedroom. She said there had been a house down the road where someone had stolen the leadwork from the windows and it could well be that, so not to worry too much just to keep an eye out.

I know it's almost certainly just coincidence, it's just that I convinced myself last night that it was just coincidence that they were calling the ONE night I was on my own, and now I've been told someone was trying to break in that same day.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice? I'm quite shaken up now, and I just want to go home and check everything is locked up tight :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Being silly but I'm scared :(

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 am

Hi Rufio,

I take it the person calling you witheld their number? In my view the fact that they hung up and apparently ceased calling you once they knew your boyfriend was at home goes a long way to showing that it was nothing more than a prank. If it was more serious the presence of a man in the house wouldn't stop the calls I don't think.

It may be worth contacting your operator and asking if they can put a block on the number that called you. You'll be able to identify the times and durations of the calls from your phone's history, and although the number was anonymous to you, it isn't to the operator.

I can fully understand you being upset over it, it's not something you need when you're in a new house and feeling a little uneasy anyway, but do your best to put it out of your mind. In the unlikely event that it does start again then contact the Police and report the matter. They have the ability to get the culprit's details from the phone operator.

As for the people at your bay window, i'm tempted to say they were chancing their arm and left because they were either disturbed or it was too much work for them. I would imagine that having been disturbed they'll see the house as too high risk and won't come back. Was it the back of your house the people were seen at?

I said to you at first when you moved into this house that a few hundred pounds on an alarm would help put your mind at rest, and i'll say it again. If people want to break into your house an alarm won't stop them, but it's a deterrent for sure and at least if you're in the house you're safe in the knowledge that if anyone tries to get in you'll know about it.

I really would say that you've been the victim of a couple of unfortunate coincidences. Try not to worry, make sure you and Mr Rufio stay in together for the next wee while to reassure you and if the phone calls start again then go to the Police, not because I think the person is dangerous, but because you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Edit: It may be a good idea to knock your neighbour's doors and speak to them. Tell them abou the people seen at your window and ask them to keep an eye out. I know how you feel just wanting to be there to make sure it's all ok. At least then if they see someone walking past they're more likely to take a look out and see where they go etc.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:10 pm

It's a good idea from Christmas to talk to the neighbours and maybe even let them know of the situation (they might even offer you a phone number if you are scared and alone). Or give them your number so they can call if they see something dodgy. I agree with everything else Christmas has said.

I had similar pranks going on; I even phoned the guy back then he went it's not me; so I was like when I pressed re-dial it just happened to go to your phone did it. So I told him I'd call the police; my boyfriend spoke to him and it kept going on; my dad came over (slightly tipsy) and told him down the phone he was a police man and if he doesn't stop he'll be done for harrassment....he's never called back! If it happens again get his number (if possible) and get your boyfriend/dad/male friend to call him from a different number and say they are the police investigating calls etc...
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah, I've had calls like this. If you answer a phone with a female voice it's just something that will happen from time to time. It's much less common now that caller display is more universal, of course. Always hang up immediately and say nothing at all - any response is playing into their hands.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Mental wellbeing