sleep...:(

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

sleep...:(

Postby spacegirl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 am

For the past month or so my sleep pattern has been just terrible. I go to bed now about 10 to try and maximise the time I'm asleep but it doesn't help because I don't drift off til after midnight no matter what! I wake up every morning at 2.05am and spend an hour and a half trying to get back to sleep. I the wake up again at 4.02 -it really is that precise I've no idea how my brain knows the time- and then I'm wide awake before getting up for work at 6.30. The thing is I lie awake worrying about really stupid trivial things in work, and when I feel myself drifting off I all of a sudden get a big wave of anxiety about forgetting to do something or an email I didn't send... I've tried baths, incense, herbal sleeping aids, but nothing makes the slightest bit of difference. This is even at the weekend. On average at the min I'm surviving on max 4 hours sleep and it's driving me crazy. Has anyone any other suggestions? All help appreciated x
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: sleep...:(

Postby Jess1234 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:23 pm

You say one of the things that keeps you awake is that you are lying awake and worrying, what I find helps me when I do this is getting up and writing down everything that is on my mind like a to-do list for the next day, that way I know I'll remember it for the next day and won't be so anxious about it. If herbal sleeping aids aren't working then it may be worth going to your doctors and asking for some prescription sleeping tablets such as Zopiclone, although I would ask to be started off on a low dose like 3.5mg as they can make you very drowsy the next day.

Hope this helps!
Jess xx
~ Vision is knowing who you are, where you are going, and what will guide your journey ~
Jess1234
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree with Jess1234; leave a bit of paper and a pen beside your bed - so you can write them down safe in the knowledge that when you wake up you'll remember them. Otherwise your brain is going to be saying "can't sleep - I need to remember this"
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:50 pm

I too agree with writing it down but alos thinking of relaing things like space and the stars or the sea and all the creatures in it. Or think or every type of animal you can.
Try to focus on one subject and do not be swayed off it. Eventually you tend to fall asleep if you do this
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:50 pm

and don't go to bed at 10. try 11 - 11.30 instead
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby spacegirl » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:26 am

hi guys, thanks for your advice - i tried the notepad and pen thing and it's really helping! It still takes me ages to fall asleep but at least when i'm asleep i sleep until at least 5.30/6 instead of 4! i think subconsciously knowing it's there helps. thanks so much! Awful not being able to sleep. sometimes i think i'm going to go crazy
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Mental wellbeing