Panic Disorder

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Panic Disorder

Postby sparkly_star » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Has anyone got/had this? I have agoraphobia along with it myself.

Has anyone had it and over come it? How did you manage to get past it?
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Panic Disorder

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Sorry I haven't and don't know anyone that has but I know people who have panic attacks

Some found hypnosis really useful, others yoga, meditation or a combo of both. Hope this helps
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:10 pm

It will be different for every person because it depends on the root cause - panic attacks, agoraphobia, and so on are just terms for different ways of feeling anxious. Your best bet is to see a therapist, either to find out what's behind it, or if you already know that, to learn strategies to help yourself while you work through it. Can you start by talking to your GP?
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sparkly_star » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks Bel Bel, I have panic attacks (I'm on beta blockers for them at the moment so I'm not currently having full blown ones). I've wondered about hypnosis, but not sure it would help. I'm not very good at exercise lol.

Snail, I've seen my GP, and as well as putting me on beta-blockers, she refered me for CBT which I'm having at the moment but I don't feel like I'm learning anything new or particularly useful; which worries me as I only get 8 sessions, and I'm nearly half way through. I've been on and off anti-depressants; made a lot of progress but could still never go out for an entire journey alone. Then the panic attacks came back (they'd gone with the anti depressants) and the whole thing is just starting to feel hopeless. I feel so frustrated :(
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Hypnosis taps in to the unconcious mind so you may find it much more usefull than cbt.

I know lots of people who have used hypnosis for various things like giving up smoking, help with panic attacks, weight lose etc and it really had a great outcome. You have nothing to lose by trying.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:34 pm

If the CBT doesn't help then I think you'll have to go back to the GP and say so, and look to the next step. But you can't necessarily put a time scale on these things - just because you're half-way through the sessions doesn't mean you should be feeling better yet; it can happen suddenly. If CBT doesn't work for you, you could try hypnotherapy or long-term counselling.

Have you had a look at the Mind website? The link's on the Mental Wellbeing page here. They give a lot of advice about anxiety and depression. Remember different things work for different people so you have to keep trying until you find the approach that's right for you. For example, psychodynamic therapy would never have worked for me as it's too intellectual, and I'm an intellectual person; I think you need a therapist who has a different outlook to yours, to give you a different way of looking at the problem.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby janieou » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Sparkly star,
I have suffered from panic attacks for around 20 years, sometimes full blown ones, and it started when I first went through a divorce, and lost one of my children to my abusive ex, decided in the courts! because apparently he was 11 and could decide for himself!

the father has since passed.I found because of this awful relationship I found myself in for a good many years it had taken it's toll on me, both losing friendships and not having family support, and it started affecting my life greatly, depending on what was going on in my life at the time.

I did manage to take control of my life when i found myself as a single parent to my daughter, I went to college, it was there i think because of mixing with a group of people, sharing, and acieving something that at that time I felt that I was capable of doing well, and it felt very good and positive, I could breathe again and feel confident as if I was worthwhile and during this time I didn't experience any attacks, I felt very normal, just how it should!

I eventually found a lovely man, who i am still with. My panic attacks were always to do with going out on my own, I found that I really just couldn't do it any more, I would become a jibbering wreck, shaking all over, as I would get an awful feeling of dread and think that people were looking at me, somehow accusing me, or not liking me, pointing the finger, wanting to hurt me in someway, and just feeling very overwhelmed, I found it extreemly disturbing, it was as if I couldn't think normally any more, and on those occasions I thought I must have been the only one, as when I looked around me everyone was just doing there own thing, normally, walking, driving, just getting on with there own lives, almost robotic, and what i found scary was that i felt i didn't fit in, very vulnerable and fragile.

So I had a few years break of the dreaded attacks, but my daughter had grown up, married, got divorced, I had another child who is 11 now, I still see my other son, who is getting on really well, but unfortunatly the constant demands and pressure that I found over the last few years, I run my own business also, took it's toll again and last year found that what had been happening was i was trying to cover up the fact of the awful pannick attacks recurring again, I didnt want anyone to know, I felt very ashamed, and it felt that if i had said anything i would be looked at as somoene that just could't cope, a nutcase or something, somoene to feel sorry about!

I went to the docs, beta blockers and a diazapan type tablet, i did take them for 6 months, and it did help, also i found out from my doc, that it was caused by depression, I couldn't believe it, I never would have thought I had ever suffered from depression, so just him saying that, I had a good long think at my life, and also started talking about it with my hubby, and it was enlightening for me, also he didn't behave like the big bad bear about it, he couldn't change it, but he did talk endlessly about what was wrong, in my life, who was pressuring me etc etc.

I came off the tablets and faced the world, just a little bit, at first, choosing nice quite woods to walk my dog, just gaining back the confidence and self worth that I had lost, and eventually on my own, I felt that i achieved something very big, I'm still not fully there yet, as it is a rescent issue for me again, but now I at least understand why we lose self worth, and I feel that I can patch it up again, with really the support of my hubby and his undersatanding.

I have learnt though that it's not that I have failed, it's just that I'm healing, after correcting some issues in my life, so I hope that you have success also, please let me know how it's going with you, x
janieou
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Mental wellbeing