major phobia...

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

major phobia...

Postby Jemima » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:07 am

hey, i'm only young but i have this horrific phobia of puke. yeah, its weird i know. No, i've never had any traumatic experiences to do with any vomiting, i was never a sickly child, i've only ever had one proper sick bug and i've never been vomited on either (touchwood!) I've never liked it...i mean who does? but my fear has definitely got a lot worse over the past five years or so...
it's gotten to the point where if anyone says that they feel a bit sick, i will question them, asking whether they feel like they are going to be sick, if they've eaten too much, if anyone they know has been ill recently, then i will go out of my way to avoid them and i try to think back to when i last came into contact with them. I HAVE to check the expiry date of everything, even if its only been brought the day before (this habit has only started) i refuse to eat chicken - fear of salmonella - and every night before i go to bed, i closely examine my face to see if i look pale, and if i feel slightly ill, i automatically assume that i will be sick during the night and go to bed bracing myself for it almost every night. i wash my hands if they ever feel slightly 'dirty' and i constantly google symptoms of infections. And if someone i know catches any kind of sick bug...i just become this nervous wreck. I'll cry, shake, lose my appetite and make myself feel ill when really i'm panicking over something that i think i've caught when i haven't. i constantly live my life in fear and i'm only a teenager!! My parents are always very reassuring and always tell me to stop worrying. I want it to stop bothering me, but believe me, i've tried shaking it off but nothing works! I'm just worried that there is something wrong with me...does it sound like there is? I just want to get over this phobia, but i dont know how...i feel like it will never go away and its just another thing to stress me out on top of everything else. Any advice?
Jemima
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: major phobia...

Postby rufio89 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:43 am

Hey Jemima,

I cant really offer much help on this, but I thought I'd say there are a few PPers with this same phobia, so they should be able to offer you some support! But they might not be about until after Christmas, as I think they are both busy being pregnant!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:00 pm

It's called emetophobia and it's fairly common. If you Google it you'll find quite a lot of information. Like all phobias, it's an expression of a deeper anxiety. That's not surprising - being a teenager is not easy.

The two members on here who suffer from it are LemonJuice87 and Whoopsie. They're both in their 20s now. As you can tell by the fact that they're both currently pregnant, they've been successful in dealing with their own emetophobia :)
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm

*waves* Helllooooo

Well, the posts above are correct.

I know how you feel as I do exactly the same. If OH says he's doesnt feel very well i'm straight in there interegating him. It usually ends up in me been that nervous he's gonna be sick in the night that I sleep on the sofa.

Im afriad I cant really offer any advice, just support.

I will admit that I only have a mild case of emetophobia. But it doesnt make the feeling or the physical side of it any better. I do freak out and panic. It's great that your parents are reassuring and help you. I only really have my Mum, Whoopsie and the PP'ers off here to turn to.

There are options to combat the fear. Some are non invasive....... others are ridiculous (As in facing the fear head on... No thanks) If you feel that your ready to combat it, make an appointment with your GP and see if they can help you. There are lots of websites that offer help and inforrmation too.

Anything else you need to know then feel free to PM me... or Whoopsie. But like the other two have said, we're both Pregnaant at the moment so are spending quite a bit of time on a Pregnancy Forum, but we still lurk around here from time to time :D
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby whoopsie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 pm

I know this is ooooold, but I wanted to thank those for the mentions, and say that I'm always happy to support others who suffer with emetophobia. LemonJuice and me still support eachother and there are loads of support groups on Facebook.

It's a nasty nasty phobia that a lot of people don't understand. It is very life limiting, depressing and stressful. It can also be a very lonely phobia if you don't have people around you who understand. If anyone suffering from this sees this post, please don't hesitate to pm me :D
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Mental wellbeing