Self-injury

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Self-injury

Postby Occultusparvulus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 pm

I have self-injured the majority of my life. This past year or so it's been improving, because I found other people who struggle with self-injury too and we support each other. In the past 6 months I think I've done it twice... One of my friends has been without harming for 150 days.

So if you're struggling with self-injury, speak to others who know what you're going through. Remember, you are not alone, and self-injury is more common than people think.

Don't be afraid of trying new things that may well help you when you feel the urge to self harm. And never give up looking for things that help - it could take years to find, but you will find something in the end.

:) It would be nice if people shared their coping mechanisms here to try and help others?

I may use the following:
Put on a song, and for the whole song focus on just one instrument (piano, guitar etc). It helps focus on something other than self harm.
Hot or cold shower/bath - this is good when I'm feeling physically numb and can help "snap" me back to reality like self harm does.
Rip up paper into tiny little bits - this is good when I'm frustrated.
Pamper yourself - good when you are feeling low and have little self-esteem.

There's loads more I could put but they are just a few xxx
http://memoryneverfades.moonfruit.com

Help me share my journey with the world
Occultusparvulus
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Self-injury

Postby fairy of darkness » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 pm

this is a nice post to see.
ive self harmed for years, for me its a constant vice.
I massivley admire anyone who can overcome it and find a vice that compares by even a small percentage.
I just have a tendancy to want to self destruct. Constantly.

have you ever seen councillors or therapists?
i think im ready too but am pretty sure it costs a lot and i cant afford to do it, a friend who suffered with eating disorders tells me that speaking to someone completely irrelevant to your life, who doesnt know you, about yourself is suprisingly helpful.
Any help you could give me would be really great:)
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Occultusparvulus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Hey

Are you in the UK?

I'd be happy to provide you with some support if you think it would help in any way.
I am currently doing a lot of voluntary work as I am unable to hold down a job at the moment with various problems with my physical and mental health.
I do a lot of voluntary work with my local mental health trust, around personality disorders and self-injury mainly. I'd just love to help as many people as possible with self-injury; either by supporting them, signposting them to relevant services, listening to them and most importantly giving them hope by showing them that you CAN stop self harming, when you're ready.

So if you think of how I could help you, maybe by providing you with some support over the internet or something like that. You tell me what you'd find useful and I'll do what I can to help x

Occultusparvulus
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby fairy of darkness » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm

How do you know when youre at the point that you need professional help?
And is there anywhere you can get it free of charge. I am going through a bad time at the moment and sometimes
its hard to see past it. I've been feeling very dark and want nothing more than to be better.

But, didnt you ever feel like if that one vice got taken away from you, you might actually go crazy?
I dont really know what to do. But i know i need to do something.

anything you can do to help me would be amazing. If you know of anywhere i can go or anyone i can speak to.
thankyou for your responses. x
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:18 am

fairy of darkness wrote:How do you know when youre at the point that you need professional help?

I'm no expert, but I would say that if you're self harming, then that is reason enough to seek professional help. There's no specific 'point' where it's acceptable to go and see a counsellor and if you think it maybe beneficial, then I would strongly urge you to do so.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Self-injury

Postby Occultusparvulus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:14 am

If you are feeling the way you say you are i do think that a positive step would be first to see your gp, who can either assess and monitor you or refer you to appropriate services ie counselling, pshychiatry etc.

I definitely understand that if it was taken away you would feel worse that makes sense.

Self-injury is a coping mechanism. If its your only way of coping with difficult emotions at this time, then having to 'stop' would naturally feel daunting. Part of the work you would do with a counsellor for example, would be to look at, and experience alternative ways of coping. In time as you become familiar with alternatives then hopefully the self-injury can and does start to become less often and/or less intense. Its a long process and its important to accept and be aware that you cant usually just stop over night! You need to work hard at looking at your feelings and behaviours and how they could change!

I have a lot of info on self injury as i Set up an organisation called No Secrets which provides support to those affected by self-injury (http://nosecrets.moonfruit.com) so if you want more info dont hesitate to ask, anytime xxx

Occultusparvulus
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Mental wellbeing