Depression...?

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Depression...?

Postby bethd_15 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm a 16 year old girl and have always struggled with my moods and emotions. Whenever I talk to people about it, they just say "oh it's your hormones". But it's been going on far too long and it's more than "hormones". I went through a big phase this time last year of being down ALL the time, with the odd good days. In January this year, I started going out with a boy I'm very much in love with and I felt better for a bit. He's helped me with my confidence, etc so it has done me a lot of good. But I started slipping back into a state of depression not long after. To give you an idea of what I mean, I'll use the past few weeks as an example. I felt ridiculously down, then I felt better, then the past few days, my mood has been chopping and changing; today I feel really down. Bearing in mind, it's exam time, I have felt a little stressed but I know that's not causing me the trouble, as many of my exams are over and I never feel too pressured anyway. I'm coming out in more spots and I'm always tired recently and I can't be bothered to do things with friends as much anymore. It's hard on my boyfriend as well because if I'm acting down around him, he thinks he's done something wrong and I feel bad for it. I get annoyed at the TINIEST things and I'm a very jealous person, and I hate these qualities about myself. I just wish I was better at controlling my emotions because it's all getting me down.

I've been thinking there's a more serious problem then just "hormones" because it's been going on too long and I want to get it sorted. I just don't know where to start and any advice would be nice.
bethd_15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Depression...?

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 pm

When you are down do you have anything in particular thats caused you to fall into that state? What I mean is if you're fine and then all of a sudden you feel down, has anything happened in that time?
Perhaps you just need abit of counselling because it will give you the opportunity to talk and work through anything that maybe underlying. You could go to your doctor and explain whats been wrong and get a referral to a counsellor.
Additionally try not to shut yourself off from everyone. I noticed you said you don't see friends as much and when you see your boyfriend you are down around him. Try to still see your friends and boyfriend and try to go out and do as many fun things as you can. It may lift your mood abit aswell :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby bethd_15 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Sometimes, like I said, I'll get into a mood because the TINIEST things annoy me and I don't know how to stop myself getting annoyed. But a lot of the time it's for no reason, or at least I think. :/

My mood is everchanging; like today I feel okay. So I don't know if I'd really need to go and see someone but then I think is there a problem if I'm feeling like this?
bethd_15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:25 pm

I think what people meant when they said is was "your hormones" was really that it was normal at your age - they just didn't express it properly. To me, everything you've written sounds completely normal for a 16-year-old. Not so much because of hormones or anything physical, but because it's a difficult period of life. I think you might have unrealistic expectations of how easily you should cope with things. It's OK to feel down (or up) for no reason, and it's OK to get annoyed easily. You'll learn to manage these things better the more experience you get.

If you really feel there's an underlying problem, as CaptainF said, your GP is the place to start. It doesn't sound as though you have a underlying problem to me though.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 am

Hi

I agree with snail on this one. From the age of 14 til i was about 16/17 i was exactly the same. I would be ok for a day or two and then suddenly be on a downer. I spent the majority of my time locked away in my room. I would get so angry at silly things and would often get so down that i would cry myself to sleep.

Now seven years later i'm totally different. Yes i still get down days like everyone else and yes there are still occassions where i get myself would up and angry over silly things but as snail said, you learn to control these emotions a bit more the older you get.

Don't think you're weird or anything like that because it is normal to feel this way, especially at your age. Although as snail said, if you feel that there is an underlying issue then consider speaking to your GP.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby bethd_15 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:48 am

I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one and I am hoping that it's just hormones. Now my boyfriend has told me he's seriously considering going into the army and that's another problem to add to my list as I am strongly against it happening and I don't know what to do. I just feel a bit lost at the moment.
bethd_15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby jen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:57 pm

With regards to your boyfriend joining the army, i don't think there's much you will be able to do except maybe speak to him about your concerns.

The army can actually provide a very good career sometimes. It's not all about being on the front line etc. There are other things he can do in the army such as air dispatch, driving, engineering, logistics etc.

There will be times when he will be away for long periods but with the way the job market is at the moment, it seems a lot of people are deciding to go for the Army.

However it is his decision at the end of the day and I doubt he would try and stop you doing something you wanted to do.

Maybe if you discuss it with him, he will be able to reassure you a bit. Ask him if he's thought about it properly and if he's 100% sure he wants to do it because once he's in, that'll be him stuck for 4 years.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Mental wellbeing