Depression, see the doctor or not.

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Depression, see the doctor or not.

Postby Biscuit » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm

I have been struggling with depression on and off for about 4 years now, for a variety of reasons and probably like most there are better periods of time than others. Recently however things have taken a turn for the worse, I'm unhappy for a number of reasons and quite often feel tearful or angry at home or at work and the littlest things can make me quite unhappy although this rarely manifests itself externally. I know things are particularly bad at the moment because I work on the 3rd floor of a building with a central atrium most times I walk through it I think I could just jump over the edge and end it all (selfish though that is). I know I need help.

I have been considering going to the Dr however I don't really want this appearing on my medical records, I appreciate with a bit of web effort I could get numbers to call, the difficulty I have then is getting time to phone in an atmosphere where I am comfortable able to talk.

What are peoples views on going to the Dr, am I best trying independent counselling first?
Biscuit
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Depression, see the doctor or not.

Postby reckoner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 am

Hello Biscuit!

Hope you're not thinking 'jeez, not her again'.

There's a book by John Irving called Hotel New Hampshire. One of the characters commits suicide through a window. One of Irving's survival strategies is "keep passing the open windows". Please, Biscuit, keep passing the open windows.

One of the things from your post that I see as positive is that you say you are depressed for a number of reasons. I think that gives you a big advantage. Many people seem to feel depressed without really knowing what the reasons are, which makes it so much harder to deal with. So, if you already know, I think you're already closer to handling it.

I have to tell you, I've no knowledge or personal experience of depression, other than seeing what has happened to those around me unfortunate enough to experience it. I never understand the distinction people make between being depressed and having depression. To this untrained person, if you know a bit about the reasons, I'd say you don't have depression: you're depressed.

I don't understand what problem you have with this issue being on your medical records. I thought medical records were confidential anyway?

It sounds like you need someone to talk to about everything on your mind rather than a course of anti-depressants, for example (I have a big problem with anti-depressants, but should not impose that on you). From what other people have posted before about depression / being depressed, counselling would be a good place to start. A platform to talk confidentially, at your own pace, away from everything in your life.

As you may have seen, I've replied to your other post. Have you discussed this with your girlfriend?

And, just once more, please keep passing the open windows x
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Depression, see the doctor or not.

Postby Craig Alexander » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling that way.

I would definately see the doctor before any permanent harm is done. Even if it did show on my records, I'd rather that happen than to cause pain for the people I've left behind.

The doctor may suggest you going to a counsellor anyway, but the doctor is the first port of call.

Craig Alexander
www.ihavemylife.com
Craig Alexander
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Mental wellbeing