I think I have social anxiety (weird experience)

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I think I have social anxiety (weird experience)

Postby Ramza126 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi, today in college my friend(guy) who likes me (I guess), said, "what you doing for lunch, going to Vinnies?(the student bar we go to at lunch for cheap soup :P), i said yeah, he said "come and sit with us", i felt very flattered and said ok. when we got there, i was with him, another guy from class i kinda know, then his two friends came over who are girls and sat with us. i felt very shy cause especially around the opposite sex i get nervous, let alone people i don't know! i'm bad at social thingies like this anyway (i was very open as a kid but as a young adult i've drifted toward being inward more, any ideas?). he introduced me and that was p much all we spoke. they sat there talking as they usually would and i was there feeling so odd

what starts happening to me in these situations is that i somehow gain 3rd person perspective and start seeing myself from another point of view, and i start telling myself i look stupid, that these people don't like me, i start to go on and on at myself, like another voice in my head starts pummelling at me, and puts me down. at this point i usually cant take it any more and leave. they went outside to smoke and my friend said cmon outside! i said, hmm, no im ok, ill sit here on my own. he said ah cmon man, don't hibernate, cmon outside! so i went outside and they were again chatting away like no one's business and i got really uncomfortable and said i need to go bathroom. in the bathroom i actually thought i was going to have a breakdown, i thought "what am i going to do, they dont like me, i dont feel comfortable" and started panicing a lot. i left and went to the shop then back to school so i ditched them but my friend did not mind but i feel bad, feel as if i shud apologise to him cause he was so nice.

anyway i do not like myself, i feel weird round people and want to get over it, dont know what to talk about and hate how i look, hate myself in general =[
Ramza126
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: I think I have social anxiety (weird experience)

Postby captainf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Have you ever thought about counselling, or cognitive therapy as a way to overcome your insecurity and learn to like yourself and improve your confidence around people in social situations?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Sounds like a classic anxiety attack. The feeling of being disembodied and seeing yourself as though you were someone outside yourself is very common.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:08 pm

I am totally confused
In your other post "no friend atm" you say you are confident and fed up of friends who won't do anything
Here you say you are sociAlly awkaward and went into a shell at the opportunity to expand your circle of friends

??
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Mental wellbeing