Where do I go from here?

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Where do I go from here?

Postby captainf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Good stuff! I'm glad that you made such a positive move forward and this is the first step to being able to move on to a happier life. Keep it up and make that call.
Your first session will be one where they allow you to talk and then they assess the best course of action to take and what key areas to focus on as a means to coming to terms with what has happened to you and how you can accept and move on from it. It will be a very very beneficial thing.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi F P

So glad you made that appointment, well done. It must have been so nerve racking but you did it. So now the phone call, have you done it? If not try to remember that it went ok at the doctors, you can get through this next stage. In fact it should be easier as it's just someone on the end of the phone, you don't even have to leave the house.

Let us know how you get on.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby f-p » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I've just made the phone call... used the spare office at work 8-[

She asked me loads of questions etc, basically everything I went through with the doctor so that wasn't too bad. Now it will get assigned to one of the case workers and I should get an appointment through the post pretty soon.

If my nerves weren't shot before, they definitley are now... but the ball is well and truely in motion now, I just hope that whoever I get will have ways and means of getting me to open up and talk.

Phew, I know there is no doubt plenty of hard work ahead, but it's almost a relief to have finally done something about this. I couldn't have done it without you all... So once again, Thank-you
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning ~Ivy Baker Priest~
f-p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Well done with making the phonecall. That is excellent and you will be much happier for it :)

The questions are normal. She was trying to establish what sort of things you have faced and what has got you so down. This then will ensure they assign the right counsellor to you.

Don't worry. Like you say, the ball is rolling and you will definitely be happier for it in the long term. They have methods to help you talk and open up. They will sometimes ask questions to help prompt you if you are struggling with talking. It will be alright :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby highlandcow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Well done f-p. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Try to keep in mind that it all should be uphill from here.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby f-p » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm

I think I'm just impatient to get things started now. I hope I don't have too much time to drive myself crazy thinking about it in the mean time!
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning ~Ivy Baker Priest~
f-p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:28 pm

:) It's good you are sounding positive. Things will get rolling with the counselling soon. :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby f-p » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi,

Well, I got my letter from the mental health team yesterday... They are going to phone me to do a telephone assessment initially at the beginning of March and then see where we go from there. I've booked the morning off work when I have my telephone appointment with no questions asked so thats good.

My follow up appointment at the docs didn't go too well, I mixture of things really from feeling like he couldn't wait to get me out of the door to me not been completely honest with him about things. I don't much rate the questionnaire they give you as it doesn't really give me the right question/answer scenario's and he didn't seem to want to get into a conversation about it this time... The fact that I was more in contol of myself anyway during my apointment made me just let it ride.

I guess I still need to learn to open up and talk about how I feel more.

Thought I'd keep you all up to date as I probably wouldn't have got this far without you :)
f-p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for update

Yes it is important to be honest

I think you said you were going to do a mood diary, if so tell the counsellor about how many good days and bad days. Tell them how bad you feel on those bad days.
You have got this far it would be a shame to get dismissed from further help because they think you're ok so you must tell them the truth

The gp's aren't always the best people but you are alredy past that stumbling block so concentrate on getting it right with the counsellor

Let us know how it goes.

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 pm

I think Bel Bel is right, maybe carry on with the diary and show it to the counsellor when you get to see one. I think it will really benefit in them helping you and finding a way forward for you to a more positive and happier future. :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby f-p » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi everybody.

Sorry I haven't visited in a while, but I thought it only fair to update you all on things as I would never have done this without your help and PP in general. I dread to think where I would be at now if I had never found this site.

So, things have been up and down the last few weeks, I've had my good and bad days and found a coping mechanism that isn't particularly healthy, but I have recognised that (with a little help... ;)) and have spoke to the doctor about it and the counsellors when they phoned this morning.

So, the phonecall.... I was totally honest with them about everything which was difficult and did stir up some emotions that have been laying dormant for a while and that I have largely been trying to hide from, but if I have realised one thing, it is that talking really does help. She has reassured me that I'm not being ridiculous and that I deserve help, am worthy of help etc. I should hopefully get a one on one, face to face appointment in the next couple of week initially to deal with current, ongoing issues and then once I am coping better in general, we will start working backwards through other issues that are/have affected me. And I'm guessing that now it's all on my notes, they will know and be able to prioritise things for me to some extent.

I know that there is still a lot of work for me to do but at the moment, I'm feeling quite positive that I am on the right track, its a strange feeling... A nice feeling. And I couldn't have done it without PP :)
f-p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 pm

I am sooo pleased with the progress you are making. :D
It's great to hear that we've all helped in this process (makes us feel useful :P )
Please keep updating us

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Good news.

Chocolate all round! :rainbow:
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 pm

f-p wrote:I'm feeling quite positive that I am on the right track, its a strange feeling... A nice feeling. And I couldn't have done it without PP

Woohoo! :D :D :D

That's so good F-P, what brilliant news.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby f-p » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Well, I'm back again.... this seems to have turned into some sort of journal for me now. Hope thats okay?

Today is the day, I have my appointment this afternoon... 2:15pm. I don't know how I feel about it to be honest.
Had a really bad night last night, I lost my self control for a while there and went a little crazy... But talking/typing to a friend helped quite a bit (I don't know how people put up with me sometimes) I'm functioning on about 2 hours sleep at the moment and feel a little ill, probably nerves as much as anything.

The sun is shining so I'm planning to go for a nice walk with the dog after my appointment, I'm sure I'll need to do something to relax so that seems like the best course of action. And I am going down to a friends tonight. They don't know anything about my situation and I think that might be for the best really, take my mind off things!

I'm wondering now whether I should look at increasing my meds or changing them... Will the counsellors advice on that or is it out of their expertise?
I don't think they are making any difference to my mood really but I am only on 50mg. The doctor did metion an increase last time I went but I was too worried about the side effects again so we decided to stick with what I was on.
Plus the time has come to change my doctor I think, I have a massive crush on the one I see at the minute (its a general practice so you normally get who you're given but up to now I've been sticking to the same one for this particular problem) . I am aware of how ridiculous that is, but it just makes me so sad and alone when I see him and know he only cares because he is paid to care...That as soon as I walk out of his office, I'm forgotten! I know. Stupid huh? Please don't berate me for that... I know I'm acting like a teenager with a stupid fantasy!

Anyway, sorry for typing so much... I just felt the need to type it all out and I couldn't think of a better, safer place than here :)
Better go and get ready!
f-p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Mental wellbeing