I am shy and find it difficult to talk to people

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I am shy and find it difficult to talk to people

Postby smb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:12 am

I am 37 years old and I have always been a shy person. I find it difficult to make conversations with certain people, mainly new people to be honest. But my partner I have the most difficulty with, I can not talk to him at all.

How can I over come this, its something that has driven me mad for a long time now. I just want to be left alone in my own thoughts, but then I don't really tell anybody whats going on in my head, because I think that its easier that way. But when I have started to talk in the past I have fond it very difficult and uncomfortable.

I really don't want to be like this any more. Its strange though, my job is a Customer Service Manager. I have done this type of job for over 20 years. I don't have a problem there at all, I can do my job really well. I see people and talk to them all the time. But I guess I am not talking about me. When I am asked about me, I am reluctant to give information. I think people will think I am boring and not worth talking to.

I think a lot of this may stem from when I lived with my ex husband who was an alcoholic. He always told me I was boring and didn't want to know about things I had to say. So I learnt to just keep things to myself.

Can anyone suggest any good books at all?

Someone has told me to go to my doctor and ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist. I mentioned it to my doctor once and he just discarded what I said :-(
smb
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: I am shy and find it difficult to talk to people

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 am

You could try cognitive therapy may help as it helps us change our behaviours.
I agree your ex probably caused this. If you keep hearing your boring then that will start to impact your self esteem.

I don't know if this book is any good but for less than £2 it might be worth a try

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shy-Hi-Anxiety- ... nce+issues
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Mental wellbeing