Anxiety Attacks

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
V23
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Anxiety Attacks

Post by V23 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:01 pm

So I've been suffering depression for a few years now, have tried counselling/medication and, while neither have been of any great help, I do find that I am able to 'manage' my depression most of the time.

Anxiety attacks however are a whole different issue for me. The started about 18months ago after an accident and far from the therapy afterwards helping this it has exacerbated the problem (there's agoraphobia thrown into this mix too).
Now, whilst I am generally alright when I have someone with me I do tend to have panic attacks/feel extremely anxious (to the point it's very uncomfortable) when I'm out and about on my own. Thing is that I am taking a 'trip' in a day which involves my flying on my own and finding my way from the airport to the city centre alone - I am *****ing bricks already (for want of a better phrase lol).
I have many 'techniques' for controlling the panic attacks but it's the uncomfortable feeling/the agoraphobia that I cannot stand. It has no logic behind it, no matter how many times I tell myself I'm absolutely fine and nothing will happen it genuinely feels like I'm having a heart attack when I amongst huge crowds alone.

Suppose I was just wondering if anyone understands this/has any 'words'??

Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Lorelei » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:38 pm

If you feel that the therapy has made your problem worse, you should really try to see a different professional! What sort of help have you received? Behavioural therapy or hypnosis might both be very beneficial in your situation.

In the short term, I understand how anxious you must be about the trip. Instead of seeing it as a huge and complete ordeal, just take it one step at a time. See it as a number of tiny challenges as opposed to one large one. Focus on one challenge at a time. For example, think: "Okay, I'll just get out the door." Then, "Okay, I'll just get as far as that postbox", etc. Don't keep focusing on the bigger picture of having to get to your final destination. In no time at all, you will find yourself there!

Also, bear in mind that it's a short trip, and keep reminding yourself that you'll be back home, tucked up in your own bed in no time.

You might also try having a lavender bath and drinking a calming, herbal tea before you leave. People also find Bach's flower remedies helpful for coping with stress.

You will feel so much better when you have accomplished this. You can tell yourself over and over again that your fears are unfounded but your subconscious may need physical proof. When you get through this trip and you see that nothing bad has happened, it might give you the courage to attempt another excursion. Good luck with everything!xxx

Pink Rose
Just Landed
Just Landed

panic attacs

Post by Pink Rose » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:34 pm

Hi V23

i used to get anxiety attacks all the time, now i get them very rarely - trust me, there will be a time when you wil be able to control them, though it might not feel like it right now!

something that used to help me a lot was being able to have someone who made me feel ok. if i was out shopping and started to feel the panic rising i would whip out my mobile and phone my hubby. i didn't even have to tell him i was having a panic attack, just the sound of his voice was enough to ground me in reality and calm me down. so if you have a friend/partner/family member you could call, maybe you could try that. i also found Bach rescue remedy very helpful.

hope all goes well!

woopdecker
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by woopdecker » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:08 pm

I suffer from panick attacks to...i've just been told to cut down on my caffine as it makes me really edgey....and i'd agree with that lol...but finding a technique that works for YOU is a struggle, took me ages...but once you find it it's a walk in the park to get over one...you need to take with you something that you know will relax you...so if you get in a panick or something, u can use that, for me it's usually a bit of music to pass the time and give me something else to think about...usually works to...but u just have to set your mind on relaxing - rather than the fact your having a panick attack...

Anyway...hope i've helped alil...

Maz xx
some people never listen. Others never try, with eyes and ears shut tight.. the world just passes them by.

Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Liquidius » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:40 pm

I used to get panic attacks, and I hate big crowds, but the best advice I could give you is to just remember to take big long deep breaths, and take it one step at a time. You need to tell yourself that you can do this, and this nothing is going to happen. Thats about the best advice I could give...

V23
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by V23 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:08 am

I've been told to cut down on caffine.My GP has prescribed me some medication for them because they have become so bad, it's a constant state of anxiety now and just getting worse (I've had alot going on the pass few weeks which has been a nightmare and just exacerbated everything). So I'm taking propranolol but it's not helping. I really wanted to control these without medication but it just doesn't look like that's possible