Duke Of Edinburgh Award

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Duke Of Edinburgh Award

Postby netballluva » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:02 pm

I really didn't know where to post this, but because it was a teacher who mentioned it I thought i would put it here and sorry if its in the wring place!!

I am 14 now so I can start to do the award if i want to. Really all i wanted was to find out is what its like and should I do it?!?! I don't really know that much about it, just that my teacher recomends us to do it!
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby silver tree » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 am

I did the bronze award when I was at school. The camping trip part was fun! I can't remember all the sections but over six months (I think - sorry I'm too old!) I prepared short stories and poems and got them verified by my English teacher, I worked Saturday afternoons in a charity shop and I did a sport (I think I might have done something with netball).

Then there's a practice camping trip and then the real one. I think schools like you to do it as it looks good on uni application forms or CV's.

Kitten is the real DofE expert around here so you could try and ask her for some help.
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kitten » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks Silver Tree, - I saw the topic heading and though yeah my area!!

I did the Duke of Edinburgh award - Bronze, Silver and Gold. I started Bronze at 14, Silver and 15 and Gold at 16 however it took me until I was 22 to complete Gold due to various problems.

Anyway the Bronze and Silver award consist of four sections:

Expedition - This invovles at Bronze level 2 days walking and 1 nights camping - during which you are to be self-sufficient - i.e. everything you need your carry between your team in big rucksacs - tent, stove, clothes, food etc.

Physical - This invovles taking up a physical exercise and carrying it out regularly for six months.

Skill - Taking up a skill and carrying it out for six months

Community Service - Helping out in the community for six months.

At Gold level there is an extra - Residential section.

I have posted a link to the official website which will go into more detail for you.

http://www.theaward.org/

But you're probably wondering - what am I getting myself into - well its a challenge thats the purpose of it to challenge you there were times at the later levels I thought about giving up - but the sense of accomplishment is wonderful.

I am a very shy and not very outgoing person so to be it was a daunting task. There was a person who didn't think I'd complete Gold as I struggled with the being away from home and camping off your own back, but that made me even more determined to do it.

And as I achieved Gold I got to go to St James Palace in London and meet the Duke of Edinburgh - Prince Philip where the awards were presented.

As an added bonus it looks great on your CV and I believe Universities see the merits off it too when you apply.

Give it a go. Any problems at any time feel free to pm me or post on here and I'll try my best to help.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby netballluva » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Oh thank you very much! I had a look at the website and I'm gunna give it a go and maybe get a couple of my friends to do it with me! Thanks kitten I will pm you if I have a problem :D xx
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby crazy_in_love » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:40 am

just to say i never did the award but my friend did and she loved it, i no a lot of people recognise it, anything you can add to your CV is good, and also take up any opportunitys you can whilst at school, not only do you have good memories, you learn something too!!
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Pipni » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi,

Can anybody tell me please, what sort of 'Skills' there are? I've looked on the website and its a bit vauge on exactly what you'll be doing. And is 'Physical' stuff like sports/games?

Finally, apart from the £11(I think) for the record book, is there any other costs?

Thanks
Pipni
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby aimee47 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:48 pm

I doing sliver now and think it’s really good, and I've had a lot of fun on the bronze expedition. It’s good for your CV and getting into collage to.

I did cooking for my skill. Also you could do craft and things like that. Yeah physical is sports, but you can also do things like ice-skating and yoga.

You have to pay for the equipment, like tents and walking boots. I have to for the bus to where we do the practise walks, but I don’t know if you’ll have too.
xxx
aimee47
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to School, College & University