I'm going to fail

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I'm going to fail

Postby kacie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:11 pm

I've got my fisrt AS exam tomorrow and i know that I'm going to fail it. We've done some practice papers in class and my best score was 12/30, it's not that i don't know the stuff it's just that when i come to write it down i can't put it into words or if a do it's too short and my mind goes blank
kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby silver tree » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:50 pm

Bad dress rehearsal means a good first night as they say in theatre circles..

Practice papers are just that, for practice. They are not the real thing and they don't count so forget them now, they are over and done with.

Tomorrow when you turn over the exam sheet (I'm guessing its an essay exam from the way you explained it) take a deep breath and count to ten. Read the question through carefully and think about it (even for five minutes) underlining the words you think are important. Make sure you have a good definition of them in your head. Then start an essay plan. They are really important, spending twenty minutes at the beginning of a 2 hour exam planning can really change the result.

To help the blank mind problem everytime something related comes into your head even if it's not to do with what you are writing at that moment jot it down somewhere on a piece of rough paper. Then you can carry on until you come to a natural pause and then return to the note you made yourself.

The most important thing is to relax yourself, getting stressed will only make the problem worse.

Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Pwif » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:28 pm

There's not much I can improve on Silver Tree's response, because it's excellent advice.

I always panicked before exams. My mind went blank, and I thought I wouldn't be able to answer the questions. But you WILL be all right when you're in the exam room, so long as you read and reread the questions. Make a rough draft of your answers; and split your time between each question. For example, if you have 4 questions in a 2 hour exam, spend the first 20 minutes reading/rereading the questions and preparing a very rough plan of your answers; then spend 20 minutes on each individual answer (no more); and allow 20 minutes to read and correct your answers at the end. (I'm sure your teachers will have taught you how to break down your time adequately; the above is just a suggestion).

Exams are very nerve-racking, but we all get through them. Get a good night's sleep tonight. I wish you all the best. :P
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Hurting angel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:53 pm

I know exams can seem sooo scary before u sit them and u just imagine failing every single one of them but in the end u will pull through. If it helps at all i failed every single AS mock exam that i had last year then passed all of my actual exams with good grades. Trust me it will work on the day! I am trying to tell myself these very things as im tryin to revise for my A levels lol. Goodluck i am sure u will do fine or u wouldnt have even been able to get into college.xxx
It always rains hardest on the people who deserve the sun.
Note to self, I miss you terribly.
Hurting angel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby kacie » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:53 am

i think i remembered quite a bit but there wasn't much length in my answers.
kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby kacie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:21 pm

I did fail i got a U but am redoing it in may
kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby crazy_in_love » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:47 am

hey at least youll be more prepared this time around. when i did my AS i got U then i retook and got C and B. I think taking them in january is too soon as you only start the cousre in late september beginning october time anyway. i have every faith that youll pass this time around. good luck :)
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to School, College & University