i hate talking infront of the class

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

i hate talking infront of the class

Postby kelly » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:44 pm

for our gcse course we have to do a presentation infront of the whole class.Im really nervous cos we have to do it on our own and tell a joke or sumthing. I know ill survive it cos ive done it before, but it was still awful-i went bright red(like i always do)and mumbled. Has anyone got any tips for improving convidence and speaking infront of large groups of people?please help, i wnt to be able to feel confident
kelly
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misatok11 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:09 pm

First of all you need to have notes to hand. These can be a godsend if you forget what you are saying or if you drift off track. Keep them short and structured.
The next thing you need is time to practise, in front of friends, family, and a mirror. After you've done your talk to your friends ask them if they understood you, as well as if they could hear you well enough. Try saying you speech in front of a mirror as you can see yourself and are able to see if you look nervous, fidget or confident!
These tips help me and ihave to give presentations all the time. Most of all dont be scared and be able to have a little fun while doing it!
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Daftness2k3 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:32 pm

Hey
I'm training to be a teacher and I have to admit,one of my biggest fears was speaking in front of 30+ people all the time. However, it's true...if you have some notes that kinda serve as a backup plan, it gives you that feeling of having a safety blanket. I'm not saying read directly from them, but you'll notice, even Tony Blair has notes which he refers to when speaking in Commons....its just like a refresher or somethin' to jog ya memory and keep you on track....
I hope it all goes well for ya! And also, remember, if people can perform in front of thousands all the time...we can do it in front of 30 once:-) Good luck and you'll be fine
Daftness2k3
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sweetpea77 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:23 pm

I was the same as you at school and would have done anything to get out of speaking to an audience, mainly because they were friends!!! Try to stay calm and be very well prepared and organised before hand. Speak slowly and try not to catch anyones eye. One thing that always used to make me relaxed (and even laugh!!) was to imagine that everyone you are speaking to is dying to go to the loo!!! Honestly, it really works!!! Public speaking comes through practice so the more you do it the better it becomes. I now dont have a problem with it and am starting a teacher training course in September this year. Hope it goes well for you!!! :D
sweetpea77
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Clairebabebear » Wed May 07, 2003 7:16 pm

hey yer i agree wit above im a teacher at a high skool and on the first day its scarry but keeping notes and practising dose help allot and also one of my tips, id try to fix ur eyes on some on that looks intressed in lissing to u, and do try to move ur eyes to diffren people but if u find the one person is more comftabel then stick wit them. (trust me at least u dont have to shout at them lol). gud luk* :wink:
Clairebabebear
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reading aloud

Postby mixed up chick » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:06 pm

Hey, i know you posted you problem a while ago but i wanted to reply aswell.
I'm only in year nine but we have to read aloud too, but im sure it's not as nerve racking.
Anyway the other week we had to write a speech and read it aloud. I knew from all the people that went before me that you have to look up if u want a good grade. Our teacher was giving us a GCSE grade, and i really wanted a good one. Anyway i started to walk up and i was really embarrased and even though i wanted a good grade i stared at the piece of paper i had wiv me the whole time and i ended up getting a D. i was very annoyed but it was my own fault. Anyway after that miss started talkin to us and i realised how stupid i was.
You just have to remember your only going to be talkin for a little while and no-one can laugh cos they all have to go through the same thing. Oh and it might help to look at a three different friends in the room so it looks like your lookin round. Just remember that you have known the people in the room for years and i think you should be fine.
I want to say thanx to everyone else aswell because now when im in year 11 hopefully with all the advice i will be fine and get a good grade
Thanx
mixed up chick

Postby AFI » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:50 pm

i hated talkin in front of the calss thats why i failed the speaking part of english.i used to look at the ground cause i just couldnt speak if i looked at everybody.ive probably overcome it now just to the fact that all the d***heads have left school.
AFI
Just Landed
Just Landed

Hello

Postby PunkYouGurl » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:45 am

Hello!

Well try not to worry too much about talking to a whole class, and if people are mean to you about saying something wrong or doing something wrong. Tell them to try and do better, and once you say that you will feel alot more confident, and once you get going you'll be fine and you slowly lose that nervousness you felt at first

:lol:
PunkYouGurl
Just Landed
Just Landed

Yep... Me too!

Postby Irish Rose » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:21 pm

I used to HATE speaking in front of a class with a vengeance!

Like a lot of you, i got so scared at everyone watching me that i would totally clam up, and even more so if it was a story or poem i'd written.

Once me and my friends were passing notes in class and the teacher told me to stand up and read the whole thing out. To everyone. :oops:

I'm not so bad now... when we were doing our speaking and listening grades for english at GCSE, i got a D... i was so disappointed, as i really wanted to do well.

Then we started to read shakespeares "midsummer nights dream" i really liked this book, and had already read it before we did it at school. I ended up reading all the parts of helena (one of the main parts), and because i didn't have to stand up in front of the class i did so much better. Then my teacher said that she would put my grade up, and give me another chance if i did a talk on the book in front of the class. On my own - i didn't even have any notes!

I managed it and ended up getting a B instead, and that's what got me over the fear of speaking in public (i was pooing myself at the time, lol!)

It gets easier! I'm at college now and find it so much easier to talk in front of people - we have to do it quite often now!
"And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To Ireland where my heart lies."
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby depman » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:48 pm

Well I went to college about 6 years ago and had to do an oral exam in front of the class
I talked about fox hunting and impressed everyone
I got a B+ pass for it

Have confidence and your inner being will work wonders for you :wink:
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:46 pm

Take it from me - I hated speaking in front of class when I first came here because my English was poor but add humour, get comfortable with ur audience - i presume u know them anyway. Say to them, not when ur up, that ur lacking in confidence and im sure they'll understand but do it more often and get more confident
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:23 pm

I have to read in my English class soon and im really worried!

I didnt mind too much last year because we did it in our form classes and i had known them people for 3 years and well to be honest i was probably one of the smarter people in the class.

Now that im in year 10 though we got put into sets, I am in the top set, I hate half of the people and in this class i feel so stupid, everyone else is so smart!! half of them are smart and will do really well and the other half are confident people that wont worry at all!

Im going to try to just look at friends that i know are nice!! i can do it really well at home and i speak really slowly and tell jokes and that but as soon as i get into class i rush the whole thing and read like a 5 page essay in like 2 mins!!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Whatever u do - don't tell a straight joke. It's ok to add humour but jokes dont work
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:59 pm

Ok! thanks!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:22 pm

Humour didn't work with me... all I got were some very straight faces. It was one of those 'I wish I wasn't here' moments but after the initial shock of everyone waiting to hear what you are going to say, it's fine. Don't worry too much, everyone is probably as nervous as you are. And besides... I'm sure you've got a better sense of humour than me. :wink:
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to School, College & University