STUDY!!!!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

STUDY!!!!

Postby spacegirl » Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 pm

this is more of a rant than a problem... I CAN'T STUDY!!! it's only a few days til my first exam (i'm final year at uni, so very important), and i just cannot study. every time i sit down i find something to distract me. like my phone, or the internet. or i decide i want a cup of tea. i would normally study in the library, except my university library seems to be a social meeting point, where huge groups of people sit in huddles and whisper to each other (very loudly) and there is a constant sound of people tap tap tapping away, texting on their phones!! even though there's a huge and pretty cool student's union full of bars and cafés just across the road, they choose to sit in the library where people are trying to work. and the thing is.... i know i really have to study my butt off for the next few days, as my final degree classification rests on what i get in these exams, but i don't even seem to care that much. if i really cared, i'd be doing something about it!!! but i know i will be so annoyed with myself in june when i find out i haven't done as well as i could have :x anyway. rant over. better go back so staring at my books and doing little doodles of cartoon characters.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby furry » Wed May 16, 2007 2:34 pm

I'm in the same boat except i'm not in my final year. You can never find a space to do work in my uni's library it's always packed with people.

Good luck with your exams anyway, hope you find the motivation soon.
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.
furry
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Lolly - Pop » Wed May 16, 2007 3:44 pm

Just wondering is there a public library you could go to? Most of them will have rooms off to the side which you can study and often plug a laptop into. This should be more quieter as less students are there.
Lolly - Pop
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby all_apologies » Wed May 16, 2007 4:47 pm

Argh, I empathise completely! I have the attention span of a goldfish at the moment too. I'm studying from home simply because I can't be bothered going to uni, and because I do most of my work on the computer so it makes sense to do it where I've got access to all my lecture notes.

A few things that I've done to help me through are:

- Make a schedule. I've got a list of the days between now and my exams and what I want to have achieved each day. It's nothing complicated, but I mark them off as I get through each stage and find it encouraging because I can see exactly what I've done and feel like I've accomplished something. It also helps to keep a structure to your studying so you're not going through each course wondering where to start.

- Keep music low. I don't know if it even applies to you, but I can't work without music on otherwise I'd go insane. However, keeping it low and mellow keeps the distraction to a minimum.

- Allow for breaks. I'm telling myself that after going through X amount of lectures I can stop to do something else for a little while (mainly wasting time on the internet!)

- Keep stuff you need (like drinks) nearby so you're not tempted to wander off every so often.

- Remember it'll be over soon and you'll be able to relax then!

It also helps to remember that most people are in the same boat. All of my friends at uni are complaining of the same lack of ability to get motivated and concentrate. Not that it's an excuse to not put the effort in, but at least you know that you're not the only one feeling hopeless.

I know most of that is common sense, but it's what's getting me through at the moment! Good luck with your exams! 8)
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to School, College & University