english a levels

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

english a levels

Postby lululala » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 pm

hi is anyone in yr11 thinking about taking english language and english literature?
lululala
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:38 am

My daughter was thinking of doing english lit until she found out that it is mostly shakespere and the language is very difficult to understand
Reading a good book is one thing but tackling the old english langauge is something not everyone can handle
English language is a great subject to take and always looked on favourably by an employer no matter what job you go for
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby LME79 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:55 pm

I did English literature A-level but it was about 10 years ago. I'm sure I'd be able to answer any questions you might have.

Shakespeare's actually not too bad, once you understand the flow it's really easy to understand - it's Chaucer that was the killer as it's practically a different language, having been written in the Middle Ages.

When I did English A-Level it was split into three categories:

Plays - one Shakespeare Play (I studied King Lear) and one 20th Century play (I studied Major Barbara by George Bernard Shaw). This was all exam.

Poetry - I studied one of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (the Wife Of Bath) and also the Bloodaxe Contemporary Female Poets. This was part coursework and part exam (the exam contained random poems with a choice of questions on them)

Prose - We had a choice of questions and we had to pick one to answer, about a book of our choice for coursework. The exam was like the poetry exam.

As I say, this may have changed but I'm sure it won't have changed that drastically. The best thing you'll be able to do is talk to an English teacher about it and they will be able to tell you what is involved with the subject and then you can gauge whether it's right for you or not. I absolutely loved English literature. English language was unfortunately not on the options list for A-levels otherwise I would've chosen that as well.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby LaughinLoud » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 am

hey i do eng lang and eng lit a-level

eng lit is really good fun cos you an express your opinions on certain things more and try and see things from certains points of view
but eng lang, although fun, is damn hard work lol very grammatical but if ya can keep up with all the pre/post modifiers and subordinating clauses/conjunctions then you'll be ok :P lol

also, loads of my friends take eng lang and want to drop it next year, but there's some in the year above who say it's easy in a2 level, so i dunno whether to drop it or not

it really depends on the kind of person you are and the person teachin you, n just for backgrounds sake i also take law and psychology if that helps ya get an idea of what i like academically

xxxxxx
LaughinLoud
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby DJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Hey..I do english language a-level..

I personally think it was a good choice to do an english at a-level. I'm not a massive lover of reading so that's what I didn't choose eng lit. Alot of my friends are under huge amounts of pressure in reading books and annitating them and what have you.

With lang, I've done some coursework and some exams. There's not an awful lot of pressure however the lessons can be tedius. With language you learn about textual analysis mainly, which is a piece of cake, and if you aren't particularly good at it, it's an acquired skill, and it is possible to work on.
DJ
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby GurlRock » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Everything DJ says, I agree with.
POWW
GurlRock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to School, College & University