Beaten up & tough time at school

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Beaten up & tough time at school

Postby perrin » Tue May 27, 2003 1:29 am

First of all I must say that this site gave me so much help & advice!!!!!!!! I'll know who to turn to with any other problems in future!!! Thanks alot!!!!
Just to let ye know I did try to complain at school about the bullying but it didn't help at all FOR ANYONE ELSE IN THE SAME SITUATION. DONT!!!! Nobody believed me and I just look like a trouble maker now.
It hasn't been as bad since the beating but still they haven't given up. Still alot of smart jibes & punches when no one's looking. I guess I'll just have to deal with the #$@*!#'s myself!!!!!!
perrin
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misatok11 » Sat May 31, 2003 7:55 am

The above advice isn't necessarily true. The best advice is to get help. Tallk to teachers, councillors, etc. Some schools even have dedicated bully advice centres. By beating the bully up you are only becoming one yourself?
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Westwood » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:13 pm

When I was at school, I was the kid that got bullied but I had developed a good relationship with one teacher in particular and she was the one I talked to about it. She listened, gave advice and helped me through it believing me every step of the way. She kept it very confidential between us so no issues could arise from others knowing.

Don't just talk to any teacher because there is more of a chance they won't believe you.

Hang in there
Westwood
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi

Postby Beckyt » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:14 pm

Hi Misatok I am afraid that you are slightly wrong about saying that teachers do listen to kids who are being bullied coz they don't. My friend was punched and kicked at school by a bully, she took her parents into school to speak to the headteacher and the bully wasn't touched, spoken to or anything. They swept it under the carpet like everything else.
My sister was badly beaten and humilated daily by a group of asian lads for three years because she wouldn't go out with them. My dad went into discuss it with the teachers and they said that it was a serious accusation and was she sure that they were not simply messing around? No they weren't messing around because she was being battered everyday, nearly had her fingers broken, punched in and out of school, called names, phoned in the middle of the night, followed home etc etc. The teachers weren't bothered and as a result of this she missed a lot of schooling and didn't continue her education because she couldn't stand it any longer even though she has aspirations to become an accountant.
Our old school still deny that bullying exists even though lots of people have been beaten up by bullies. The fact is the schools get fined so much for expelling students now that they try to keep kids who make other kids'lives a misery in school. Therefore teachers make sure that they are exempt from having to deal with trouble makers by turning a blind eye to whats going on under their noses.
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby misatok11 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:45 pm

That is just an example of what shouldn't happen. This isn't a widespread thing, teachers have duty of care. It's in their contract. :P
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

hi

Postby Beckyt » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:09 pm

This is a fair comment Misatok. They do have a duty to care for their students and i suppose even the ones that cause the trouble in the first place!
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby smile » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:39 pm

Teachers do help kids being bullied. Although there may be a small minority of teachers who try but don't help the vast majority of teachers do help. Just because your experiences weren't helped by a teacher, do you want to risk a person coming on this site to find out about bullying and seeing the message 'Do not go to your teacher if you are being bullied'? The chances are that their teacher will help them through the bullying. If a particular teacher does not help then there are always others in the school who want to help. There is always someone there to help.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Hi

Postby Beckyt » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:05 pm

Hi Smile just to clear this up I didn't say as a message to anyone being bullied not to go to teachers because they don't help. I would never give rubbish advice like that! But what i am saying is that powers of teachers today are so limited that it is very rare that teachers can do a lot about it. For one thing they have to address the problems of the bully as social problems lead to bullying, secondly schools get fined heavily for excluding trouble makers and thirdly they can't protect kids outside the school grounds. We live in times when teachers can't/will no longer get involved because of the backlash on them. Therefore a victim may need to go and tell someone else and have their support before they go and tackle the bullies.
I would never risk a person coming to this site for advice and going away without a useful piece of info. But if you ever came to an inner city school and witnessed the job that a teacher has to do to protect all their children you will realise why I made the first comment.
Hope this comment didn't create any bad feelings
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby smile » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:52 am

I completely see what you mean, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. Thanks for clearing that up.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to School, College & University