No communication!!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

No communication!!

Postby piper1692 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I’ve had quite a few problems at school and I’ve decided to study for my GCSEs at home and go into school for the actual exams. The only problem is, my school has a really bad lack of communication! I’ve lost count how many times my mum has phoned up, been fobbed off and nobody got back to her. We went in for a meeting today, although the teacher I’d arranged to see had gone straight into another meeting, and my mum told the teacher we did see that she didn’t want me to be a pupil at the school anymore. We were promised that somebody would ring today, but that was in the morning, and now its 4.30pm! I wouldn’t be panicking so much if I hadn’t gotten a letter through the post, telling me that I had ten days off left, then I’d have to go back and my mum would be forced to pay a fine! I don’t want to get her into trouble, but my emotional problems have started to show physically. I throw up every school morning but never on a weekend, have constant headaches, and I’m falling asleep at 3-4am, then waking up at 7am. I don’t feel safe at school, and my mum hates dropping me off there every morning, because she doesn’t feel that I’m safe either. I turn 16 on Thursday and would like to leave, but I still want to get my GCSEs!
Does anyone have any advice to make my school take me seriously?
La, la, la. I don't know what to type. Um, well, I like circuit training. But not running! I can't stand running! Not even for the bus, will I run!
piper1692
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:41 pm

well my daughter had the same problem as was throwing up from stress.
she had cognitive therapy which has made a huge difference to her self esteem and stress levels, worth having even if you don't go back to school.
Can you change schools.
I think your mum needs to contact the local truancy people to explain why your not going in to school to avoid the fine they may have better advice than the school themselves do
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Rox » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:49 pm

School phobia/anxiety/refusal is not an uncommon problem for students of your age.
I have two suggestions - firstly that you (and your Mum)have a look at the "Education Otherwise" website. This is intended for pupils who are taught from home and has an interesting section on School Anxieties in it's leaflet section.
I also suggest that your mum speaks to the school SENCO (Special educational needs co ordinator) to discuss the possibility of a referral to your local SEBS unit (Social, emotional behavioural skills) who may be able to act as a mediator between you and the school assessing and explaining your needs.
Your Mum should also ring your local County Hall and ask to speak to the Educational Welfare Officer and explain the situation to her.

You don't say whether you are in the first or second year of your GCSE studies and I'm kind of thinking if you are Yr 11 you're going to be cutting things a bit fine to get things set up and in place in time for your exams in June. That having been said if you are Yr 11 - you have probably done the majority of the actual work already and any additional work will be revision (assuming you have completed your course work). There are lots of GCSE revision work books and websites (like BBC Bitesize) that could help your self directed study. You could then just enter for your exams at school, see how you get on and maybe think about applying to your local FE or sixth form college for September - either to sit or re-sit some subjects. College really is Very Different to school and you might find it suits you better.

At the end of the day the most important thing is actually your mental health and well being. These days there are plenty of opportunities to continue your education in a variety of different ways and settings. School is not the be all and end all and it really doesn't matter if you take your GCSE's this year/next year or when your 28!! It's never too late!
So try to relax and enjoy your learning! You are obviously motivated and keen to succeed so I'm sure you will! Do all that you can on your own using the library/internet and any other resources you can access and just try and have fun with the work. There's always another chance to try again if things don't go right this time.
Good Luck
X
Rox
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to School, College & University