GCSE Worries

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

GCSE Worries

Postby Shiloh08 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 pm

im in year 10 and i am currently taking a few GCSE's early and preparing myself for year 11. my attendance for school is really rubbish and im WAY behind in my maths classes. im so far behind its very unlikly i will be able to catch up in time as my exams are only a couple of weeks away. does anyone have any idea how i can revise stuff and make it stay in my head. im useless and forget stuff almost instantly. if i switch from one thing to another in the same session ill forget so much. im doing mathematics and statistics, but i dont know anything at all. im afraid ill fail, in fact i know ill fail. but i just dont see how just over 15 hours of maths lessons is going to elp me catch up. what do i do?
Shiloh08
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby ZMF » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:18 pm

hey Shiloh,
Listen, I'm currently doing my GCSE's right now and I understand the worry and stress you're going through.
Are you doing higher maths?
because I did core, so really, I know how much harder your papers are.

If I were you, just go through the syllabus which you can download off the internet, depending what Exam board you are.

What I did is I printed out the syllabus and went through it,
the things I didnt understand the most,
eg, I am useless at transformations, So I went over that too.
It helps studying with a friend as you can share ideas and methods on what to do. Obviously, get someone whos capable to do the maths! lol
Also a word of advice, if you don't understand in the syllabus, like really, hella dont understand, then dont bother with it.
Most of the papers are on the simple stuff; so get that done like 100% and get most of the papers right - theres no use coming to the exam and dwelling, spending your time on a question you dont understand, skip it and move on. If you have time in the end, then go back to it.

If there is one thing to know,
timing is key when it comes to exams and always check the back page when you start to see if theres a question there.

Laslty just, relax.
The worse thing you can do is stress. Since it's a couple of weeks away, just keep focus and it take it easy aight?
Anything else, with any other subject, I'm right here :)
Don't worry honey, take care.
Is someone giving you beef?
tell them to eat it up, with noodles!
ZMF
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Shiloh08 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 pm

hey, thanks for all the advice
yeah im doing higher maths, plus all my english and science which is also higher. problem is its all packed together, i have a maths and science on the same day :( ive got friends that i know could helpp me its just no one seems to be able to stay and help or anything. they all have younger siblings and they have to look after them or take them places. my maths teacher i really dont get along with and although he may be a qualified teacher, his teachings just dont work with me. i aways forget stuff and he refuses to go over it again as there is still alot of stuff we havnt even covered yet, at all! downloading stuff of the internet helps but not enough. it only gives you practice papers and no answers and no explanation. my mum cant help coz shes just as usless at maths lol. i just dont know what to do.
Shiloh08
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby ZMF » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:39 pm

You're welcome, any one in my position offering advice would give it.
That's all part of life sweets,
I had 4 exams in one day, I went through 20 exams in two weeks, its all crammed, I was stressed but you just gotta take it easy, and just bang it!
LOL, I know it sounds rude, but thats what we say.
It makes you feel better when you come and say,
' I screwed that paper over'
English is good, which exam board are you?
Because i've done both my english's?
Do you do the mice and men stuff? and poetry?
Because if you need help on it, I'll be happy to help.
English is good, seriously.

You have to find what works for you?
Do you sit in an exam and remember an experiment or notes you've previously written?
Do you remember lyrics?

What helps me is taking the large notes and just narrowing it down.
Make it bold, bright and colourful.
Take breaks inbetween and listen to music -
Opera helps btw.
Stick big ass posters with the equations all over your wall- not exactly pretty but hey :-) its just suggestions.

Sorry to hear you cant get much help from others, and your teachers a bit useless.
It's life I suppose.
I've been in the same position and loads of other peeps have, so don't like fret, it's only natural.
Is someone giving you beef?
tell them to eat it up, with noodles!
ZMF
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:40 am

W H Smiths do some books which help you with methods, answers and planned studying. You just go through the book in page order so you can't go wrong (they may sell them in book shops too) Have a flick through all the ones on offer to find one that suits you. They are about £5 usually.
Remember it's better you fail this year than next year.
The teacher will realise he has to give you more help. Also you may get moved to core maths which will help you next year if you are doing an easier paper. The higher paper at my daughters school came in two parts and 25% of the first paper they hadn't even studied for. The second paper was much simpler maths so don't get all stressed out if you find the first paper harder
Are you having the same teacher next year? If you are and he has the same attitude of not helping you when you nee it (thats his job after all) go to you head of year and explain how you are struggling and hopefully she/he will get something sorted for you
Is it possible for your parents to pay for a tutor for a few weeks to help you gt caught up in the holidays then at least you can be on the same level as evryone else when you return to school
Is there any other relatives who can help you?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby m_m » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 am

I agree with "Bel Bel" and "ZMF" and I know exactly where your coming from! I struggle when it comes to exams but throughout my GCSEs and A-levels I used a technique which I found worked for me. I have quite a visual memory and so I stuck up A4 pieces of paper all around the room. I sorted these into sections (e.g for History the papers were in chronological order) and used a different colour for each section. That way when I was in the exam I could remember which section was where and the colour it was then and then tried to visualise the writing on the specific piece of paper I needed. This really helped me as well as reading the information then having a break then testing myself on it. I also gave subjects specific days e.g if I had a History and Maths exam the same week I would spend the Thursday and Friday doing my stronger subject and then the Saturday and Sunday doing my weaker subject (of course that is depending on how much time you have).

I would suggest finding a technique that works for you and corresponds with how you learn. Incorporate the books Bel Bel mentioned and give your self mini tests (that always helps). I would also suggest asking your teachers for past papers (in English especially) as it can really help you to see the patterns of questioning they go for throughout the years. Most importantly give yourself breaks and don't panic. I was in pratical hysterics before one of my English A-levels because I was so scared I didn't know the text and ended up getting 2 marks off of full marks! You've proven yourself already by being put in for the higher exams!

Don't pressure yourself, you'll be surprised how much you remember in the exam. I had to re-take my Maths GCSE when I was doing my A-levels to bring it up to a C and I managed it the second time around so there is no shame if you feel you didn't do too well in an exam... it is not the end of the world, keep things in perspective :)

Good luck (not that you will need it!) x x x x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:40 am

ZMF was right, make large posters with formulas on and stick them in your room. Look at them before you go to sleep and everytime you walk in your room. I did an exam at university and there were 34 DIFFERENT ways to differentuate (they all had formulae), plus all of the other forumulae - I did this and it helped me - suprisingly I didnt remember every equation I was supposed to BUT I did remember more than I would have. Just make sure you put the posters up more than a few days in advance to get the best benefit.

xx
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to School, College & University