Design or Media?

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Design or Media?

Postby Whatsername » Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am

Heya.. its my second year for college next year. I have just finished my art and design course and I have applied for 3 different courses.. design/digital art/media.. only 2 of them gets me into university. So its out of design and media.. but im not sure which one to choose?
Can anyone help me?
I really want to use photoshop and design artwork on there instead of just drawing, which would be best... design which is craft/3d/graphics.. or media which is graphics and film?
I have done all my interviews, and asked them questions but im still not sure which one would be best.

Sorry if this is confusing. #-o
Whatsername
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Design or Media?

Postby all_apologies » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 pm

I know nothing about design and media (though from your descriptions it sounds as though design may be better for you). Anyway, what I would suggest is getting in contact with either the course coordinators of each scheme, or students who are on those courses in higher years. I've had a few students I've met on nights out who are in lower years asking what to expect, and I always wished I had someone to ask when I was at that stage too! Most degree schemes will have some sort of society that you could email for advice if you get stuck.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peanut1977 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 pm

To be totally honest, a lot of universities still view media as a "soft" subject, in that it's not really that demanding nor teaches you anything. It's a shame as I know it can be a great subject and a lot of people enjoy it. But as you can get a lot of what you want from the design course and it looks like you want to go more down the 'arty' route, I'd probably suggest design. Go to www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u then go to 'job families'. Look for the jobs you want to do and see what it suggests a good subject is to study.
Peanut1977
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:37 am

Why weren't you my careers advisor Peanut?

My friend studied Media at uni and she's not had a stable job since (3 years); although she probably is the most awkward person ever - being 'let go' from her many many pub jobs. She's not had a job in media, except for placement few week/month jobs. She did get a placement at Ardman (who do Wallace and Gromit and Creature Comforts) and I think she did really well there, but it was only a placement job.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to School, College & University