Deferral Conundrum

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Deferral Conundrum

Postby brendo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:12 am

Hi all,

I'm currently repeating my thesis after failing it last year. I am doing a pretty intensive 6 year design course that was going well until the final year. I ended up failing my thesis and I was devastated all summer. Come September however, I picked myself up and returned to college again. What really irked me most about the situation was that despite regular meetings with tutors and staff in which I stated a willingness to defer if advised, I was told to continue on (right up to the end) and failed despite reassurances that I would not. Much of the marks are not allocated until the final submission and 50% of that is decided by external examiners so the staff can never say with certainty how a student will fair out. I then spent the summer appealing the situation so that I was allowed to return afresh and attempt to achieve an honours degree (typically if a student fails the final year, they can only attain a pass degree when they repeat it)

Fast forward almost a year and here I am repeating the thesis again. I find that I am suffering from regular panic attacks and this is affecting my work output greatly. I am seeing a college councillor to try and work on cognitive therapy but it is progressing far too slowly for my liking and the pressure is mounting as the end looms near. The next two months are the busiest of the year and already I'm in pieces, I just can't calm myself to work enough from day to day. I'm visiting the college doctor tomorrow to see if he can prescribe anything to calm me down. I've had panicky moments before but this year it has gotten ridiculous. I just feel that the writing is on the wall - I'm making similar mistakes to last year and the tutors are still talking in frustratingly vague circles. I feel that if I defer then at least I'm taking back some control of the situation and can sort myself out from there. I had initially considered a year break before returning to complete the thesis but there was pressure at home to finish up as my younger sibling are long since qualified. I've completely lost all love for my degree and think I need some time away from the course to re-evaluate things and get some perspective. What a mess.

Help! What should I do?
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
brendo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Deferral Conundrum

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi brendo,

If you have the option of deferring your course for the year then I think you should. There is no sense in selling yourself short, which you will surely do if you continue to batter on in your current state. Why not talk to the appropriate people and see where you stand with deferral.

If you can defer for a year do you have to start a new thesis on a different subject, or could you potentially work on your thesis all through your year off'? If you could then that would be ideal. It would give you the opportunity to return to stability and work on your thesis in your own time, at a slower pace and with negligable pressure. Effectively you'd have 2 years to accomplish it.

You would have funding considerations (course fees?) and of course it'd help if you had the blessing of whoever you live with (parents?).
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brendo » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi ILC,

Just thought I'd update my progress with my college deferral. I finally submitted my deferral papers this week after a long drawn out debate with my parents, tutors, peers and friends. I'd stopped attending college a month ago but it took awhile to get the administration side of things sorted. So I have officially deferred at this stage. My friends tell me they don't know me now - I'm like a new man! I know it was the right decision and I just wanted someone online to agree with what I was thinking.

I'm currently job seeking at the moment and I'm encouraged by all the work that is out there right now, despite the Irish recession. I've got my year all planned out and I'm ready for some fun and laughter for a change.

Thanks for your advice, it was much appreciated.

B
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” -Albert Einstein
brendo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri May 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Brendo,

I'm glad to hear you're feeling so much better about the situation. As they say, life is too short to be miserable over something you can change.

Hopefully in a year you'll be in a much better frame of mind to attack your course and make the most of it.

ILC.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brendo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

Hello again,

Just wanted to say a final thanks to ILC for your advice in 2011 at a time when I needed it so much.

I am currently getting ready for my graduation this weekend after finally securing my Honours Degree last June!

I returned to college last year and had a really enjoyable final year - how great to leave college with fond memories and new friends. I am pretty proud of myself for taking control of the situation and dropping out when I did despite the advice of my peers and tutors.

My family and friends are super impressed that in the end I did actually return to college and saw it through to the end. I'm not sure who's more surprised - them or me!! I feel like I've won the lottery.

I am just so chuffed right now. Thanks ILC :)
brendo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 am

What an excellent outcome :D
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

That's fantastic Brendo! Congratulations on your degree :)

ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to School, College & University