I can't get down to work

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I can't get down to work

Postby smile » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:03 pm

Hiya,

I'm a bit stuck. Not a major problem but I can't seem to get down to any coursework. I do some but then lose interest and find something else to do. It's not that I don't want to do it but there is always something else to do so I say to myself, well I'll do it tomorrow. However tomorrow comes and the same thing happens. I do always hand my coursework in on time but I always leave it to the last minute and end up staying up for half the night trying to finish it.

I am enjoying my education generally, but I just find it hard to get stuck in, in my work. I suppose I need to be more committed. Each time I hand in a piece of coursework I promise myself that that will be the last time I leave it until a few days before hand, yet I always break my promise. Once I get started I find it easier to carry on with but it is just starting it. Has anyone got any tips on how to commit more to it?

Thanks

Smile
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:28 pm

I'm the Master of Distraction. Whatever I plan to do I always end up pre-occupying myself with something else. At school and college it meant lots of coffee and late nights doing work in order to get it in on time.

I remember my Drama coursework at school, for that I did an all nighter. Needless to say I was a bit subdued at school the next day.

It's in my nature to try and not get stressed about things, and I think that is a significant factor in why I do distract myself, as I am concious of the fact that I am doing it.

Adversely I have books on time management and stuff like that, but I still manage to be late to things. I suppose I just like to do things in my own time, which inevitably causes problems.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:29 pm

Further to my previous comments, it's not necessarily a bad thing though, I did end up getting an A for Drama. But I am a Drama Queen...
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:46 pm

I'm not the only one then. :) I'm like you... I know that I am distracting myself yet I fail to do anything about it. At night when I try to go to sleep I get a horrible sinking feeling and I struggle to get to sleep worrying that I haven't done any work. So I tell myself that I will do it tomorrow and guess what happens the next night. :roll: My grades are getting worse and I know it is because I am not putting much effort in, I aso know that I can get some really good grades if I start working but I really can't do it. It's like there is two sides to my brain, one that wants to work and one that doesn't but the one that doesn't always seems to win. :(
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:48 pm

God I've just read what I typed and I realised I sound really lazy... Hmmm... :(

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:09 pm

lazy - resistant to work

The dominant thing in our heads is to distract ourselves somehow. I've been told some of it comes down to the fact that we don't really want to be doing what we were intending to do.

Here's some things to try...

- create a plan for up until your work deadline, be realistic in how much progress you could make on a daily basis
- keep a log of the work you are doing, then review it regularly to assess your progress or what is getting in the way of progress
- take a small chunk of a difficult task, and get that out of the way
- clear your work area of anything not related to the work you are doing
- have a time device in view to help you keep to your plan and encourage you to keep at work
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:25 pm

Thanks I'll give them a try. :)

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby shz » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:57 pm

oh dont worry, I am like you Smile!!! I leave all my coursework or work to be done until the last minute and end up having to cram it all in on the night before it is due next day but funnily enough it is easier for me this way as It helps me remember what to do in the class the next day!!
I am in college and I left my maths work until sunday night and ended up staying up until 1am finishing it for the next day but i ended up sleeping in and missing my maths class lol oops!!
I was like this all through school and now college, I just find it easier to do it the night before even if it is giving me major hassle !! Most people dont understand why I do it as everyone always do it the night they get the work! For Revision, I only did it in school as i had tutorials so i only did it there and did the major cramming the night before a test or exams!!
I got exam tomorrow so it mean major studying tonight !! for Economics class (boring by the way) so you aint the only one!!! Smile You just have to find a way that is easier for you and keep to it. Hope i was a help!
Shz.x [-o<
shz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:05 pm

Thanks Shz. I just worry myself stupid that I won't get it in on time. :roll: How are ya by the way? Long time no see! :D

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby shz » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:39 pm

oh i am doing okay. College is tiring as usual. Sharing a flat with other 6 deaf people is very hectic as visitors always pop around so it is always hectic as i have mentioned lol.
Looking forward to my one week october break!!! Yay! if you hear any stories about how college is fun no studying, freedom! It not true!!! as yesterday i got a massive lecture off my Course leader and Guidance leader about me being absent too much!! I have to start attending college more well every day actually and catch up on work. huh!!!
#-o lol it funny when you think about it really .. heehee
my interpreters are so rubbish but working hard to get it sorted out as i need good interpreters. I have to tell you a bit of advice - when you decide what to do for uni or college, FOLLOW YOUR HEART as it will tell you the truth! I wish i had done something art related instead of business and accounting course lol . :D Take care. Write back with all the gossip. Mwah xxx [-o<
shz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:48 pm

The follow your heart bit sounds like a good idea! Your interpreters sound like they are doing a good job. All the gossip?? Gee, let's see. Well I'm now a mod! yay! :lol: Apart from that plenty has gone on but nothing I can remember! lol

Hope your ok with college,

Smile x x

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to School, College & University