In year 10 and he has no coursework

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

In year 10 and he has no coursework

Postby Irish Rose » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:55 pm

My little brother has just started year 10 this year.

I told him that because i only left school two years ago, that i would try to help him as much as i could with schoolwork, as i know how hard it was for me when i was doing my GCSE's.

Every night, when asked if he has any homework, he says no, and he keeps saying that he hasn't had any coursework to do yet.

He's lying. After i asked him a few times he said "well, yeah, i do have coursework, but i don't need to do it right now" He is my little brother, and i can always tell when he is lying.

I'm just a bit worried about him, because he is doing the same thing that i did at his age, and i know how hard it can be to keep up with all the work that gets thrown on top of students. I don't really want to give him the "your GCSE's shape you whole future" talk, as he gets that enough at school, but i want to make him understand that he needs to do his work!

I used to leave my work until the last minute - once i was so late in handing in a piece of coursework that the teacher was threatening to not enter me for my exam - i stayed up ALL night, and was soooo tired the next day. i got into loads of trouble, and felt so trapped that i couldn't tell my parents, as they would just nag me, and watch my every move until i did it.

I really want my brother to understand that i am here to help him - i am good at english (especially literature) and maths and all that - But it just seems as though all he wants to do is hang around with his mates.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Irish Rose on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To Ireland where my heart lies."
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby smile » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:58 pm

Talk to your brother about how you left it to the last minute. (like I do too! :roll: )

Maybe he just needs a bit of a push to get him started. I'm sure once he realises how important it is then he will start doing it.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bubble » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:26 pm

Hiya
Irish Rose, i'm in the same position. I have 2 younger sisters, one is studying for her A levels and the other has just started year 10. She also never seems to have any homework or coursework and spends all her time on the net. Ive told her ive been there but she wont listen to me.
I think they will listen eventually, if all else fails casually mention it to your parents/guardians!?
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sovs » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:57 pm

Maybe he wants to do it himself, not being funny but because you keep asking if you can help him he may feel you think he's stupid and cant manage it himself.
Not saying thats what it is but its a possability.

sovs :wink:
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Thanks

Postby Irish Rose » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:03 pm

Thank you for replying.

It's true, savs, he could think i'm pressuring him, but if i was he would have told me to get off his back. I don't ask him ALL the time, anyway... just about once a week or so i will say "so you still not got any coursework to do yet?"

He just told me that he was getting moved down in his maths set at school, because the teachers don't think he's keeping up. He is in the top set at the moment and doing higher maths. they're getting him to do intemediate instead because he got 8% on a test last week.

The problem is that my little brother is very mollycoddled by my parents - he is the youngest kid, and has always been quite sickly. Whenever he gets a cough or a cold, my parents keep him off school, usually for weeks on end. I think that little bro thinks if he gets into trouble, mum and dad will bail him out as usual. Not gonna happen.

I'm just trying to make sure that he doesn't screw up his schooling like i nearly did.

He seemed pretty upset at being moved down, until i told him that he is a lot cleverer than i am, and it just seems as though maths is not his strongest subject. There is no point in him being in a high up class if he can't do the work, especially as he is off a lot. I know that when i was doing science, i was put in for the higher test, but if i'd been in a lower class, i think would have done a lot better.

Maybe i should just have more trust in him... i'm just trying to look out for him, that's all. :(

Thank you again :)
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Nicki-claire » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:55 pm

I'm the year above your brother, and when i first started year 10 all my parents did was presure me to do my coursework. I know they just want me to do well in school, but at the time it felt like they were always on my back. Year 7, 8 and 9 are pretty much doss years, maybe his just finding it hard now that school has got serious. There is a boy in my art class who was seen as 'hard' and he never did any cw at the beggining of year 10, but then he realized that school werent a doss anymore. He did all the cw and now hes being entered for the higher paper (like me!) Maybe your brother just needs space to realize schools turned serious, believe me nagging him wont help, just tell him your there if he needs you.
sorry Irish rose if this didnt help at all!
xxNickixxx
Nicki-claire
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

yeah...

Postby Irish Rose » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:51 pm

It's not like i have a go at him for everything

Last year when he was doins his key stage three SATS, he was so worried because his teachers kept telling himthat his sats were sooo important, and that they would shape the rest of his life. Load of rubbish.

He was in tears one night, and i said to him that his sats were not really that important, and that he won't actually need them in the future. He didn't believe me, so i said "look, how many jobs have i had? loads. i didn't need my sats results to get them, or to get into college. No-one wants to know about the results of them tests, because your GCSE's are the important ones"

After that, he relaxed a lot. I think the pressure got taken off him. I told him that all he had to to was his best, and that i had every faith in him that he would get the results he deserved. He ended up getting two level sevens and a 6, and i was so proud of him - all i got were three sixes.

Maybe i just want him to do well because i want him to have loads of choices in his life, and not to end up like my older brother...

And Nikki! Your reply WAS appreciated!
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby pretty_in_pink » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:25 pm

Hey. I am in year 10 and i am a bit like him sometimes. i have started getting coursework and it's tempting to try and push it back but in the end i'd rather get it done than get yelled at!!!
i am no-one,no-one is perfect,i must be perfect then! \:D/ *kissheart* :rainbow:
pretty_in_pink
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby KoRn_Freak » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:05 pm

I was a bit nerdy in year 10- I actually looked forward to the coursework because I thought it would make me sound so mature and grown up! Whichever planet I was born on was surely backwards!

I'm in year 11 now, and I'm obsessing over the work I have to do. I have about 13 pieces of coursework to finish by February, and I have only myself to blame.

My boyfriend mucked around and literally did no coursework at all, and ended up disappointed in himself, and very ashamed, when he didn't get the grades he wanted. Now he's making a huge effort in college to break the habit and get on track

Your bro definitely needs a healthy dose of reality, and I think you're the best person for the job. Parental 'this is the most important time of your life' lectures never do any good, and advice I get from my sisters always has an impact.

You could always try the scare tactic and tell him exactly how many days he has left, excluding the holidays, to complete his work and revise for the finals. I think I have about 20 weeks left, and I'm panicking!!
The sats overwhelmed me at the time because I was self harming, and I couldn't cope with the pressure from the teachers and how they constantly reminded us that they were incredibly important. They're a load of poop, but I still wanted to do well. In the end I came out with two 6's and an 8 which I was over the moon about. That gave me the motivation to get on with my coursework in year 10. But now that the sats have no significance whatsoever, motivation is hard to find. So instead, I scare myself about not getting into college, and it always frightens me into doing my work. The downside is that it stresses me out, but on the upside, it gets done!

Hope he gets sorted out

Edited for profanity by smile on 30th November 2003
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...
We've got a long way to go; it's beyond Martin Luther: upgrade computer.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby luvliness1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:35 pm

i am in year 10 and i do the same thing , just try to encourage him , i think thats the best thing , tell him the consequences if he doesn't do it.
i think i could do with some one doing that for me as i never hand anything in on time , you could be alot of help if u just nudge him in the right direction.
luvliness1234
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby luvva » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:10 pm

Hiya
well im in year 10 too, like a lot of other people! I knw that you just wanna look out for your brother but you have to stop treating him like someone that is stupid. I think someone has already mentioned it but if my older sister kept doing what your doing I would get really annoyed and it would make me feel as if she thinks im stupid. Im 14 and right now me and all of my friends and me are all becoming very independent. I havn't actually had any coursework to do so far this year so im quite lucky but you just have to trust your little brother to do his own work.
You say that your parents are probably a bit over-protective of him and he probably doesn't need his sister being like that too. I think you just have to let him know that you are there for him and if he ever needs your help he can always ask. I know you don't want your brother to leave it intil the last minute like you always have but your brother isn't you, i don't think you should let him make his own mistakes cos thats just stupid if you can help him not too make mistakes but just try not to pressurise your brother as all of his teachers probably are.
Hope your brother is okay anyway!
Bye xxx
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Thanks

Postby Irish Rose » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:26 am

i told him that he is a lot cleverer than i am

I never said he was stupid, nor did i incline that in any way!

My brother is just the opposite - he is so clever that he thinks he doesn't have to do his work.

I'm trying not to pressurise him, as i know he gets it off his teachers at school. He just needs reminding every now and then to do his work!

I am quite aware that my brother is not me, and if you are hinting that i wish i was him so i could do better (ie live through him), then you are mistaken, as i didn't do too bad, and i am going for a degree next year at uni, after i finish my diploma this year.

i understand your opinion, as you are in the same position as my brother, but trust me... Be complacent now, and you will be wishing you hadn't by the time you go to college and try to get a proper job. I saw so many people on results day who didn't get the results they wanted, and were crying (yes, even those big hard people and the "cool" ones who never wanted to do work anyway) because they couldn't do what they wanted at college or whatever.

Funnily enough, most of them now work at mcdonalds or various other fast food places...

If my brother felt that i was pushing him too much he would tell me - we are very close. It's just that i'd rather have me encouraging him than at the end of year ten, when he still hasn't done any coursework, and all the teachers are on his back.

It saves so much trouble to just do the work in the first place. I learnt that the hard way, and now i'm getting myself straight and managing to get everything in on time.

Oh yeah... i've been dropping a few hints too... along the lines of

"ooh, it's so good to have handed in all my assignments before christmas! now i don't have to worry about it, and can relax!"

Well, something like that. He's not picking up the hint though...
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Enigma » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:38 pm

I'd like to point out that working at "McDonalds or various other fast food places" is not a bad thing. It is better than having no job at all like those people who can't be bothered to work. I got great grades at school, and then went onto college. When I was at college I realised I was only there because other people wanted me to be, so then I left, and as it happens I started working full time at McDonalds. After starting out there I then went onto a salaried wage at a credit card company.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:33 pm

I did pretty badly in my most of my exams, didn't go to college or uni i did an NVQ and walked straight into a secretarial job in the NHS. I then worked my way up to a secretary to 6 doctors, a really well paid and respected job when i was only 20.

In the meantime from age 15-20 i worked at least 2 jobs at a time in cafes, shops, burger bars, voluntary work, newspaper rounds etc because at the end of the day a job is a job no matter what the title.

Some people aren't cut out for uni and college but it isn't a bad thing. People should make their own choices not do what others want them to do. Everyone wants the best for their family and friends but make sure he isn't just doing this to please everyone. My sister was very bright tipped to do exceptionally well but the pressure on her drove her the other way and she didn't put the effort in at all.

Good luck though i hope everything works out.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Ok,

Postby Irish Rose » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:28 am

I will admit when i am wrong, and i should have stated this was my opinion

I did not mean to cause any offense when i said about working in mcdonalds or other fast food places. I do realise now how snobbish of me that must have sounded.

What i should have said is that i can't understand how some people can have so many hopes and dreams, and just settle for the first thing they can find... Just for the sake that it's easier?

I would never work at mcdonalds myself, but that is purely because i prefer older people to people my own age. Considering that i am a teenager, i don't really like other teens.

Once again - i apologise for any offense caused
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Next

Return to School, College & University