Behind in ALOT of work

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Enigma » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:02 pm

I don't think the GCSE's are completely insignificant. They are a stepping stone, and once you've got to the next step they are taken out of focus. Sometimes you can leap over stepping stones, but certain career paths require you cover each one.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:38 am

Yeh i have to agree with Enigma. Not that i really know a lot about the subject! I dont think that they are as important as teachers make out but i think that they are of some value.

If there wwas you and some person up for a job if you had 5 C's and someone else had 5 A*'s the business may be more drawn to them. I dont think you should worry overly though!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Irish Rose » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:08 pm

Hey look_for_the_sunshine!

You're doing exactly all the same lesson choices that i took at high school!
It can get sooo tough though - especially the food tech one. I always found that the coursework that was just left for us to do on our own at home was the ones that always got left til last, because i just didn't have the motivation. And a child development one where we had to study a child. I ended up making that up.

I think that you are the same as i was in high school - the only reason you do coursework is so that you don't have to look round corners first to check that one of your teachers doesn't happen to be walking around there, so you don't have to answer awkward questions, and fob them off with excuses. Then you get all the stuck up people in your class telling you that you are letting the whole class down by not doing your coursework and why can't you just do it etc.

Am i close? Well, that's what i were like. Had to be dragged through years ten and eleven .

These things can really stress you out, and make you even more uptight about coursework. It also really puts you off it. The worst thing is that your teachers will also keep telling you that you are going to fail if you don't do your work. Which is true, but not exactly what you want to hear.

The only person who can motivate you is yourself though. I'm in my second year of college now, and only just learned to properly manage assignments (basically coursework - my college is very americanized really). I can have as many as 8 to do at the same time, all for completely different subjects.

Even if you really don't want to do this work, you need to get all the work that you are owing in, by working really hard at it until you are clear. Then, set aside maybe one or two nights a week when you do nothing but any work you might have gotten that week. It depends on if you are the kind of person who prefers to get it all done in one go, or to have lots of breaks and spread it out over the week, doing a bit every night.

Trust me, once the work you are owing is out of the way, you will feel such a sense of relief, and feel better for it. Then you can enjoy your last few months at school without worrying too much.

I hoped i've helped some! (and not given you eyestrain from reading all this lol!)
"And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To Ireland where my heart lies."
Irish Rose
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby German_Hippo » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:37 pm

Hey
I'm in year 13 right now and I'm so far behind with my coursework, I just kept putting it off. I got so far behind I couldn't ask my subject teachers for help. But I got so down about it I had to talk to a teacher and explained how far behind I was and it's getting really hard. I picked the teacher that I felt would be nicest about it..it happened to be the head of sixth. He was really awesome about it, and is helping me with getting it done and talking to my subject teachers. I would definatley advice you to tell a teacher that you trust. They can help you. Well that's their job after all.
But as many have said it is GSCE's they are pretty much forgotten about straight after. As someone mentioned they do act as a good stepping stone, getting you prepared for A levels. It is a big jump and it's best not to get in to bad habits. Also what gets me through it is thinking about what I want to do with my life in the next few years (travelling is my dream) That in itself helps. Well that's my two cents worth

Good luck and don't get too down about it!! x
German_Hippo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby lynne242 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:54 pm

She's right you know. They make it seem like such a big deal and pressure you into getting excellent grades but at the end of the day, so long as you get what you need to do what you want to do then thats all that matters. If its uni you want to go to and you maybe dont get the grades you need, then you can go in the back door by going to college - you can still end up with a degree if thats what you want.

Ive worked my butt off to get good grades a school, then to get good grades at uni - now Im in my final year and it only matters now what grades i get in this particular year...Ive to write a dissertation and that is stressing me out completely! Sometimes i just want to give it all up, but then when Im feeling a bit better i realise i dont want to give it all up. When I think back to all of the A levels i took and I dont even need, that stresses me out even more! I only ever needed 4 out of the seven A levels that i sweated and stressed to get great results for... Im not saying its easy...but youre certainly not the only one stressing themselves out to succeed with something. And just because one person gets an A and you get a C - so what? go girl!

Joke for you - Whats green and fluffy? Green fluff

Keep smiling!
lynne242
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Previous

Return to School, College & University