Revision Techniques

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Revision Techniques

Postby luvva » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:43 pm

Hey
Well in school recently with the classees i have picked we have been having a lot of exams. I was just wondering if anyone has any revision techniques that really work so i can at least do good in the exams! See i find it really boring so i neva revise but I have been doing really good so far and i want to keep it up!
Thanks
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:28 pm

Hey,

When I was at school I started revising late on, so I didn't do so well, but my g/f, Fiona, is currently using a very good technique. She has taken down alot of significant notes, and stuck them on her bedroom wall. It's kinda funny really, you would expect every girl to have pics up of their favourite band, or actor...etc but not my Fiona, she's got all revision notes on her wall :lol: It's doing her some good though, as she's predicted nearly all A* and A's.

Remember, don't over do it!!!!!!!!!! I have to keep reminding Fiona about that. It's always important to keep a good balance of revision and rest.

All the very best of luck.

Captain Flynn
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Fidel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:15 pm

The way I did it was to constantly write formulae and stuff over different thing. I have a whitevoard on my wall and it was covered with revision stuff. Lonely environments are bad so have some music on and chill
space it out. Revise only the relevant stuff and use this http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize it's for Scottish Standard Grades but It's basically the same thing and it doesnt stick rigorously to the (forgot that word for the course) and it's fun

Spice it up a bit
Dont make it boring!
Fidel

(passed all of his Standard Grades (like GCSEs) 6 ones - English, French, Modern Studies, Physics, Music and History, a two for Admin. and a ....erm....3 for maths)
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:14 pm

Well before I would just kind of sit and read and try and remember as much as I could as possible and that isn't too bad, we got science module test results back on our first day back and i got an A and a B, i was really happy because well i knew i would get an A in one but the other i was so sure that i would get a D.

I suppose if i did good in these that i should try and stick with what im doing but I think i might try making little sheets and posters full of the most important things and stick them around the house so i will remember things as i walk around the house!! Plus this will probably annoy my brother, which is always a bonus!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby worstfriend » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:09 pm

when i was sitting exams, i used to read a chapter/section/whatever, then put my notes away, get one of those blank postcards and try to condense everything i'd learned onto it.
You end up with alot of little headings or keywords which unlock all the stuff you've learned, it really helped me.

Also when i sat exams i sometimes panicked and my mind went blank, and so when i was revising i listened to some music, but like, one album or artist for each subject (60's pop for art history, googoo dolls for english lit. etc) then if i blanked in the exam i would sing the songs in my head and all the stuff i'd learned would ome flooding back!

I used these techniques for standard grades (Scottish GCSE's) Highers (Scottish A levels) and all through University (i got a 2:1) so they wrked for me.

Hope this helps.

WF
worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:58 pm

The postcards are a good idea, writing the basics on them, highlighting the important info and keep looking through them. I used to take them everywhere and at spare moments look through them a lot.

Sitting down for hours can be very tiring and you dont always take it all in so have regular small breaks inbetween that will help. Revising together with your mates can work - you test each other on things. Get some old exam papers from your teacher they are really good too.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:24 pm

Yeh I think I'll probably try using little postacrds or little pieces of paper. Well we do old papers in school it's just the teacher is well rubbish really so while were doing them everyone is talking and you always overhear the smart guy saying the answers so then you are obviously going to put them down!

Plus the only friend that well to tell the truth is at 'my level' isn't my best friend so my best friend would wonder why I wan't to revise with her!!

Well hopefully the cards will help me!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dazed_bubble » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:33 am

when i was doin my gcses, for science subjects i had revision guides and i'd write down the main headings, then short sentences underneath them with key points, and made it pretty colourful (probably me procrastinating :P) and then leave it a couple of days then write it out again, and it really stuck in my head. for english to be honest i didn't revise :o as we were allowed our books anyway, for maths i did loads of questions and past papers which are useful... didn't do much for the other subjects either :wink: but i was pleased with my results, 7 As and 4 Bs :P Oh another good one for some people is mind maps or spider diagrams, i just remember at my school they were obsessed with them! we had some good lessons on revision techniques, you should nag your teachers to organize something for you. good luck!
dazed_bubble
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby luvva » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:59 pm

Well The ideas people have given are great but I suppose i can't just copy other peoples techniques because we are all different so what may help 1 person could be a total failure for me, Thanks everyone though!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:34 pm

True. Everyone has their own style
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bubble » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:33 pm

I would definately recommend the bitesize video's through the BBC if you live in england, or even any other form of revision video if you don't, Just as long as it's from a reputable source. Then jot notes downs from them for you to re-read. I also found the revision guides were very useful.
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby luvva » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:19 pm

Yeh the revision guides we get are quite good i was just kind of getting worried that it can't be too good to always be reading but the video thing sounds good. thanks
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby lynne242 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:36 pm

As has already been said, condensing your notes into little notebooks with colourful headings, pictures etc is a great way to revise - but I always found that listening to a specific CD over and over when you revise a certain topic, is a great way to jog your memory - I passed my exams to oasis! Its amazing what you remember when hearing certain songs! :-) Music also makes your environment more comfortable to work in. Good luck! :-)
lynne242
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby nothings_shocking » Tue May 24, 2005 8:16 pm

bumping this as it is that time of year again. Some good advice on here!!
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby luvva » Tue May 24, 2005 10:22 pm

Ooh...I started this post! :)

Anyway, yea..I've got my first proper GCSE exam tomorrow (English Lit) think my revision has been quite good. Just changed between subjects a lot, gave myself breaks and found different ways...reading alone, reading outloud, making notes, bbc bitesize, spark notes etc. Lots of different things!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to School, College & University