I can't keep up with the work load

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I can't keep up with the work load

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:31 pm

At the moment i'm really struggling with the workload on my AS level courses. I'm most worried about art, because i'm getting behind with the work, and I can't keep up with the fast pace. I'm becoming increasingly concious of seeing all these talented people around me who are having to do re-take, and its just making me think 'if they can't do it, how can I?'.
This is a subject i'm really really passionate about and it means a lot to me to do well. I'm quite competitive really so I know i'm heaping extra pressure on myself every time I get predicted a grade lower than I thought.
Because i'm trying to get this sorted out, i've started to neglect my other subjects. I'm doing 4 AS levels altogether, and i'm worried about where i'm going to fit the revision in for english literature and history, i've got heaps of textbooks and practice exam questions to sift through. My grade relies completely on the exam, because there is no coursework. I'm not confident in my exam technique at all!
I really need to get motivated and organised, but i'm going through a really stressful time because my mum and dad are splitting up, and they absolutely hate eachother, and they keep trying to turn me and my brother against the other parent, my mum is the worst for it, she keeps cornering me and making me chose between the two sides of my family, who i want to live with and twisting my words and using them in arguements against my dad. My mum and me don't get on either. I wish I knew why but we've never even had a proper conversation, and she's never even told me she loves me. And I've tried so hard to get her to like me, and to get to know her, but she's just so cold. I've tried to keep out of it and get on with my own life, but its hard whenever you come home and they're having vicious arguements, and I keep getting dragged into it. Its even driving a wedge between me and my brother.
I've got no quiet places to go and escape and I just feel so stressed and under pressure and I can't motivate myself. I just need some reassurance and to just get motivated and put everything behind me and stop moping around and worrying. But i'm not sure how to go about it!
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

hi

Postby samz » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:30 pm

just try and do the best you can if you put your mind to it u can do it. samz
:)sammy loves u so help me out guys i love to chat about anything xxxxxxxxxxxxx
samz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby jensensi » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:42 pm

Exams are a stressful time anyway, but with family pressures as well you must be finding very hard.
Your mum and dad have very big issues to deal with and i think you should make it clear to your mum that she is putting a lot of pressure on you as well.
I failed art at GCSE, i know its hard if you dont keep up. My advice is to take a sketch book and go out. Go anywhere, even if its just to your local park or library and use the quiet time to draw. Maybe you could use your art as an output for your emotions regarding your parents. Maybe you could imcorporate it in a module?
You will just have to make an effort to go places and spend time on your own. Maybe study with a friend or boyfriend at their houses?
You will be annoyed with yourself later in life if you let your parents troubles spoil your own life
jensensi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby fe » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:56 pm

hey!
I'm coming up to my A levels in the summer, so Ive been through the whole AS thing!
To be honest, I think they are a waste of time. When you begin to get your head around a piece of work, bang, its exam time. By the time exams came round I had ran out of time to revise properly!In the end, I received 3c's and 2d's. At the time I was gutted as for GCSE I got 2A*'s 4A's and 5B's. But,seriously, you've no need to worry about them. In january, I retook some modules and bumped my grades up. Retaking only a select number of modules is much easier the second time round. It's true you revise all through christmas, but you find things that you missed the first time round.If you see what I mean!
A friend of mine took 7 retakes in january and is taking 6 of them again with her A2's!
What I'm trying to say is that try your best in these exams, but don't over stress and work yourself to the brink of popping,because you do have the chance to amend them!
I'm sorry if I haven't helped much!
goodluck
fe
fe
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to School, College & University