No light at the end of the tunnel

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

No light at the end of the tunnel

Postby madcow » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:33 pm

i am so stressed out at the moment. I kind of need to get it off my chest, so here goes. This week is the worst of my life. I have english, biology, maths and physics corswork. All of which is impossible. I have to hand in a french folder full of all the work i have done this year and i have lost my folder, my french teacher is going to brutally murder me. On top of all of all of this I have piano lessons and after doing it for 6 years i want to give up, ive got as far as I want with it, and i havent the time to do it any justice. How do i tell my parents this? Lessons are becoming a nightmare, i really cant face them anymore. It is half term in two weeks, so for everyone else they can see a light at the end of the tunnel, but stupid stupid me got pushed into doing french exchange. I really dont want to go but my daddy made me feel really bad because he is a french teacher at my school, and he said he coudnt be encouraging people to go unless i set a good example and went. Its for 2 weeks!!! No holiday. Ive been on french exchanges before and they are no picnic!! not a holiday at all, infact they are even more tiring than being at school! I dont know what to do, im going to break down because i have so much just all on top of me. I need a break but in reality Im not going to get one till Easter holidays.
Also i dont even have a proper weekend because at my school is it a boarding school and we go to school on saturdays. So there is just sunday left, which means im totaly whacked and just end up sleeping. What can i do? i really need some time to chill out and relax. I cant miss any school because if i do im just going to get behind and all my teachers are really strict and if i miss school they make you catch up, well you need to because if you dont you get behind and thats awful. :( :( :( :(
Be crazy for love and crazy for meeeeeeeee
madcow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby silver tree » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:07 am

Hey there. I did a French Exchange once and I agree, it wasn't really a holiday. However, it is very good for your French and I went on to do a French degree at uni and spend a year living in France which was amazing. Try to focus on a good aspect of it. I know that it's not hanging around with your friends but it is spending time in another country eating amazing food (all French food is amazing). I know you already speak French fluently but I'm sure that there are cultural things that you could learn.

In the end it is better spending your time doing this than sleeping in and hanging round with your mates, even though it doesn't seem like it now.

As for the work, could you not try and tie in replacing your French folder with your French exchange, e.g writing reports on that? Ask your Dad for some help with this as well - ask for his advice. Come clean with your French teacher about the work asap and present them with your idea for replacing the work.

Tell your parents you want to give up piano at least until the summer as you are so stressed with school work. It would be a shame to drop it completely but at the moment I think the priority has to be your school work and your stress levels!

Do you do any exercise? Even a 20 min run in the evenings or the mornings can help energy levels to rise. Failing that why not try a home yoga video as that might help to calm you down.

My school was strict and old fashioned as well, we had to go in for sports every saturday morning so I only ever had one lie a week. It is hard work but these types of schools generally produce good results and it is worth it in the end.
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby arwen » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:17 pm

You poor thing, the last part of your school life with exams, coursework and everything is one of the hardest times anyone can go through. What decisions you make now will affect the rest of your life.. how much more pressure can there be!?
But you need to go easy on yourself. If you've been playing piano for 6 years you know enough to carry on by yourself as a hobby. I played guitar for 8 years before I started having lessons as part of my A-level music, and the lessons totally took all the fun away, because instead of playing for enjoyment I was playing for someone else, and it was just miserable. So if you want to stop the lessons, explain that you will carry on playing but you are good enough now to continue for our own enjoyment and development.
Just keep in mind that although this is a very important time for you, you can only do your best. Reading your post it sounds like you are trying to give more than is humanly possible, so give yourself a break. Take a deep breath and rationalise.
Plan your time so that you fit in your studies as well as some time for yourself to unwind and relax. Getting yourself into the right frame of mind is as important as the revison itself.
Finally, good luck with your coursework and with your exams. You can only do your best, and I'm sure things will be just fine for you. Let us know how you get on.

Wen xx
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby helenisagoddess » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:38 pm

Has anyone else on this website noticed that it is always the able students who worry about their work and that they're going to do badly?
Looking back over the last few weeks when people have said 'I have an exam tomorrow or some coursework or something along thouse lines and am panicking I don't feel capable I'm going to screw up' practically ALWAYS write back the next day saying 'thanks for your help, the exam went really well'. The fact that you feel drowned in work is ok, but you're at a good school and you're going to do well.
I'd say don't let your parent bully you but I know sometimes it isn't that easy. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Sorry but that's just how it is.
Ok, calm down, take a deep breath and take an hour out one evening. Put all your work in front of you and organise it in order of priority. Then give yourself a plan. Tomorrow you'll do an hour of this and then have a ten minute break and do an hour of that.
No matter how stressed you are, remember, there are LOADS of people in your situation. We all have been through it, I went through it, feeling totally out of control and immersed in work work work. But you'll get through it.
I promise.
Good luck
-Goddess x
helenisagoddess
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby madcow » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:17 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. I followed what you said and made a plan of everything I had to do and prioritised it. It doesnt quite seem as bad as it did back then. I handed in my physics corswork and just got it back....i got an A im so proud hehe lol. Thankx agen mwahx
Be crazy for love and crazy for meeeeeeeee
madcow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lilessexgal » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:27 pm

lol well done! x x
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby helenisagoddess » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:22 pm