any ideas?

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

any ideas?

Postby lozzy01 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:31 pm

I am in year 11 at school and i got glandular fever so i have missed alot of work and i am really behind on my coursework and revision. i am at school part time now but my teachers keep moaning at me saying i should come in full time and do extra lessons after school. i am not well enough to do this and i have to look after my brother after school. my mum has told me to forget school and get better but everyone else is telling me to work, but the more i work the iller i seem to get. i dont get time to do the work now and they want me to do all the work i have missed and my course work aswell and i cant cope. should i give up? any ideas?
lozzy01
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby X_Smiler_X » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:20 pm

Year 11 is a very important year. I understand you haven't been well, and thats totally acceptable for you to be missing school.

I would go back and get as much work as you can done in the time you have left. Your teachers are right to moan because its only for your own benefit.

Sorry to hear you have been ill :( I know its not nice going in to School when your unwell, but it may be a good idea to cram as much work in as you can before you leave. It will do you good in the long run!
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby nothings_shocking » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:21 pm

It takes months to get over Glandular Fever. Even though the physical symptoms are gone it still remains in your body. You need to rest until you are 100% better or it is going to take much longer for you to recover.
You should speak to your school and ask about special circumstances.
Special sircumstances is to do with your final grade, the school has to contact the exam board/s and explain yuor situation and see if you would be valid for special circumstances.
As for coursework if you just do 15 minutes everyday that would be better then nothing. Atleast you will have something to submit.
Does your school know you have Glandular fever?
In a way your mum is right, Glandular fever can be bought on by stress this could be why you are getting iller when you are working. It seems you are stressing over your coursework.
I think your mum may have to have a word with the school and tell them you need rest, if they do not accept that then you will have to get something from your GP telling your school what you need to do in order to get better.
Hope it helps
x x x
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:54 am

Hi,

My best friend had glandular fever in his school days and he was out of school for over 6 months!

What I would suggest you do is just try and work at a pace thats best for you! Don't force yourself into extra lessons after school, because as you are unwell, you are not physically capable of doing that. Do you have a note from your doctor to give to the teachers so that they can have it in writing that you're not able to attend school full time?

I know that it isn't always right to say this, but although I say try and do as much work as you can, don't force yourself into doing too much, even if it means you won't finish everything! If you dont do as well in school, you can always re-take exams in college, so make your priority for now - getting better!
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby arwen » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:06 pm

My cousin was in a similar situation towards the end of university, she had a nervous breakdown and didn't know who or where she was for a couple of months. Her doctor contacted the university and she was given certain leeway because of her illness and being unable to complete some of the work. She still graduated with the rest of her year.
See if there is anything the school can do to give you additional consideration in light of your sickness. It's not your fault after all!
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to School, College & University