Stay on at school or go to college?

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Stay on at school or go to college?

Postby ks1406 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:16 pm

Please help me, I don't know whether to stay on for 6th form or go to college. I know I've got a year left but I don't know what to do. I know I want to be an accountant though but I'm really behind in ICT at school as well.
HELP ME PLEASE!

edited for text talk by all_apologies
ks1406
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Something_totally_Wrong » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:46 pm

well perhaps if you tried to talk it out with a teacher, they may be able to give you a better idea of what would be the best.
Hello I'm MUNCH and you are?
Something_totally_Wrong
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby brielle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:23 pm

Only my idea...... if you have enough qualifications to get onto the course which you want to do,at college go for it! they will treat you more like an adult as well and you will feel great!
If you havnt got enough qualifications, spend 1 more year at school to get them!
GOOD LUCK : :)
we will sit upon the rocks,
and see the sheperds feed their flocks
by shallow rivers, to whose falls
melodious birds sing madrigals.
brielle
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mew_mew_kitten » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:29 am

College is far better than a sixth form. Only choose a sixth form if you want to remain in the school environment, which I am sure many people your age don't want to.
mew_mew_kitten
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby lilessexgal » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:44 pm

dont panic mate. you've still got a year left to decide although you may want to get your application forms in sooner. you should have career advisers at your school there to help you make the best choice. just to make a point sixth form can be just as good as college because a few of my mates have gone on to be lawyers etc from going to there school sixth form.

iv ust left and i have only just decided what i want to do thanks to the help from someone on here giving me careers advice! so i would say ask your school for help.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby luvva » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:30 pm

I think College is a lot better. I'm starting in September and really looking forward to it! I'm hoping to do the same things in the future as you mentioned too.

I think College is a lto better as you do get treated as more of an adult, and I think the environment is a lot better!

In our last year we got invited to a few taster days at surrounding colleges/sixth forms so you get a feel of the place, would you be able to do something similar?
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Sammeh » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:43 pm

Generally, sixth form has more of the school mentality, and most likely you'll be there with people you went to school with. college is more of a chance to meet new people, a change from school and a bit of a bridge to the uni experiance.

in terms of which is better academically, i guess that depends on the individual establishments. although at sixth form i benefitted from having built up relationships with the teachers through school, cos when i had some probs, they were really understanding and helped me out because they knew i was normally a good student.
You say it's gonna happen now...but what exactly do you mean? 'Cos I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone...
Sammeh
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Willmo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:12 am

Well if you want to be an accountant you should look further ahead than sixth form and college, you should think about the course you wish to do in univeristy although it seems a long time away and then speak to a careers adviser about which course either at sixth form or college would be best to allow you to get onto the uni course that would give your career the best shot.

Hope this helps.x
It could be worse, you could be me :P
Willmo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mew_mew_kitten » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:03 am

If you want to be an accountant, I would suggest that you go to college, and take Maths, Further Maths, ICT and Accountancy A-Levels.

Can't get much more simple than that!
mew_mew_kitten
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Moose » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:58 pm

I think you can do your AAT course without A Levels, and some companies will pay for you to go on day-release so you can go to work and study for further qualifications. That might be worth looking into.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bexical » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:56 pm

Go to your local college and talk with the career advisor, and then perhaps fill in an application for for both 6th form and college to keep your options open at least then you can go to college to train to be an accountant or stay at 6th form and boost your knowledge, i think its defiantly worth visiting an advisor
Bexical
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby principessa » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:51 pm

i suggest you look at what 6th form has to offer you and compare it what college or university can offer you. I say which ever one suits you the best go for it!! :D
principessa
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby smile » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:43 pm

I think you should atleast try college as it's an experience that you may or may not enjoy although a lot of people love the atmosphere. College is very different from school and I think it prepares you well for the 'big bad world' as you are treated more maturely. At the end of the day if you choose college you are going to meet a wider range of people and you may well enjoy it well.

I'm at college and love the environment so I'd definitely recommend it.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby super_gurl » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:29 pm

i think the main thing is what will suit you better, because 6th form and college are very different experiances. but don't be fooled 6th form is still very different to normal school.
in 6th form, frm my experiances and from wht my friends have experianced, there is a lot more supporrt and input from the tutors, wher as in college it is more independant and you're not pushed to do it, you just get on with it in your own time pretty much.
it just depends what you feel your needs are...
x
In your eyes I lost my place
Could stay a while and I'm melting
In your eyes like my first time
That I caught fire, just stay with me
Lay with me, stay with me, lay with me now
super_gurl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby LME79 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:22 am

Please note that this topic is nearly a year old so the problem has more than likely been resolved. Thanks 8)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Next

Return to School, College & University