portsmouth uni?!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

portsmouth uni?!

Postby tracy1987 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:43 pm

i was surprised with my a level results! BCC and i got into portsmouth! :D but im really scared! wat do i bring? i love in wales aswell so travelling is gonna be quite difficult too :( can any1 give me some advice and info please
tracy1987
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby bkukat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Ive never been to uni before, but have lots of friends who have. I have no idea what you'll expect, or what to expect .... but from what I can gather its a very good experience, something I will do at some point (maybe). The others can give you some advice on what to expect..... other than that congrats on getting into Uni, you'll have a whale of a time!
The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.
bkukat
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby tracy1987 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:53 pm

im scared tho to be honest! lol!!
tracy1987
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SugarRainbows » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:37 am

Just take things you would take to go on holiday, clothes etc but my bf is taking pots and pans and stuff too. Maybe go on the uni website and see if they have a list of essentials you should take, if not email them to see what they have already so you know what you dont need to.

Welldone and good luck :)
SugarRainbows
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby brfc » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:45 am

portsmouth is a lovely place. by the sea etc. never been to uni but my friend has. bringing yourself is the main thing lol. the rest will folow. cooking things always good pens paper. clothes basically i guess everything you would normally need if you were going away. good luck
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Seaside Belle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:26 pm

posters, music, proper pillows and duvet, basic food, some booze, computer, clothes, plates, cutlery etc ...

... photos of home, masking tape to stick said photos on bedroom wall, a sense of humour, boring stuff like medical card, passport, id etc...

Well done on getting into uni, just remember everyone is in the same boat as you, ie nervous but excited! My biggest piece of advice is to join a society during freshers week even if you feel really scared and smile at everyone!
Seaside Belle
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby SugarRainbows » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:56 pm

you can always send home for the things u forget, or buy new down there.

so if you forget anything it doesnt matter :)
SugarRainbows
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Sammeh » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:01 pm

Like everyone has said take what you would pack anytime if you were going away from home - clothes (plenty for going out, you'll need them!), toiletries, plus cooking equipment and food if you are catering for yourself. Booze too if you want, and games and silly activites such as cards, drinking games sets etc. make good ice-breakers in your first weeks. Maybe a good idea to ask for something like that if anyone wants to get you a going-away present?

Bear in mind though you will be living there most of the year so it's nice to bring the personal things that make a place feel like home - your own duvet cover, pictures and posters, your own music etc. Plus things like stereo and TV if you can fit them in.

The uni should send you some sort of moving in pack which will detail what you will need with respect to bedding, towels, etc.

Moving in a can be daunting but once you are settled it's fine - and it's the personal items you bring that can help you to settle in :)

Good Luck! xx
You say it's gonna happen now...but what exactly do you mean? 'Cos I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone...
Sammeh
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby PinkPrincess » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:54 pm

I go to Portsmouth Uni! I'm in my third year and I totally love it! When I first started I was really worried coz I'm quite shy (also me and my boyfriend of three years split up two weeks before so I was really upset about that too) but I ended up making friends with every single person on my course and we all go out together. If you really get into it, uni will be the best thing ever! :D
PinkPrincess
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to School, College & University