RE: i dont know what to do!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

RE: i dont know what to do!

Postby piper1692 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:26 pm

hi. i've got two weeks until i go into year nine, and i dont really have a good idea of what i want to do. this is the year where i make my choices. i want to help people: social worker, midwife, ect. i'm really bad at maths so i cant really do anything like that and i want to do something that will make me happy, not miserable. i dont want a dead end job, something good and fufilling, that i can focus on.

i'm getting just okay at maths now, having got a fairly okay grade on a paper. my science grade has dropped but due to problems at school which are now sorted, i have tried my best to get them out of the toilet.

i really want to make my parents proud of me. my brother's an electrician and our father is dead proud of him. though we dont talk anymore, i still feel like i have to compete, get better than my bro.

i'm worried that i wont get a job and i'll just die on a street corner somewhere, ashamed of how i've lived my life. i want to make people proud of me. and when i'm older and -hopefully- successful, i'll see those idiots who bullied me and be able to say that bullying kids in high school didnt give you a better life.

i just want to be happy with a job but i havent got a clue where to start. please help.
piper1692.

Edited for profanity by smile. Please do not swear on the forum - with or without stars.
La, la, la. I don't know what to type. Um, well, I like circuit training. But not running! I can't stand running! Not even for the bus, will I run!
piper1692
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lilessexgal » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:22 pm

look hunny your going into year nine and yes now a days some pathetic teachers are like the "subjects you choose now will affect the rest of your life" but it is all rubbish. you dont need to know what you want to do now.

by the sounds of it you have an idea of what you want to do so thats a good start.

as for maths it sounds like your doind your best and that is all you need to do your best! your parents are going to be the most proud of you for doing that weather you do it and fail or do it and pass!

just because you are doing your choices now doesnt mean they have to be with what you wanna do. i mean i chose music and drama and iv finished school now but dont want to do any of those now!

i havent even got into college yet because its taken me so long to decide what to do.

relax and have fun while you can at school as well as work the best you can. you dont need to decide your future just yet,
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Sammeh » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:51 pm

I'd say as a rule pick the subjects you enjoy and/or are good at. It's not life or death what you pick at GCSE, especially if you do want to do some type of social work, as you would be looking to take some type of Health and Social care course at college level maybe, and there isn't really an equivalent of that at GCSE, so they will just be looking for you to have done well in what you have taken.

So just stick to what you like doing - chances are if you enjoy it you will do better and find the work less stressful. Don't let it stress you out too much as there will be plenty of opportunity to change what you are studying later in life.

xx
You say it's gonna happen now...but what exactly do you mean? 'Cos I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone...
Sammeh
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby smile » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:25 am

Hi there,

First of all I doubt there is any chance of you dying on a street corner ashamed of how you lived your life! You sound like a very determined person and I'm sure that'll take you far in life.

As lilessexgal and Sammeh have both said your GCSE subjects that you choose don't determine your career. I took 9 (I think) GCSEs and although I passed all of them, my career goal is something completely different! As already said do the subjects that you enjoy and are good at and I'm sure you'll be successful in them.

If you still don't know what to do you can talk to a Connexions advisor who'll be able to advise on different subject choices etc. They can also help you to look at future decisions that you'll have to make like whether you want to go onto further and higher education such as college and uni. You should have a Connexions advisor at your school but if not you can call them on 080 800 13 2 19 or visit the website:
http://www.connexions-direct.com/

As long as you do your best then your parents will be proud of you whatever you do.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Angel_Fairy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Heya,
First of all don't try and compete with your bro. I had a similar prob with my sister. I come from a military family, and i was the black sheep coz i didnt want to go in the army. My sis joined the navy, and i kept tryin to compete to be better. She was forced in to it, becoz she wanted to be seen as better than me, She's miserable- whereas I'm now at uni doing what I want to do, breaking away from our family 'mould' and I'm happy and my parents are happy that i'm happy.

Don't be forced in to a job that will plz ur parents and not you- remember if you do this- you may be stuck in this job for 40yrs!!

Choose a job that you really want, and whatever you do (so longs you don't drop out and do nothing for a living) your parents will be proud of you for following your dreams.

Write a list of possible jobs, and do a little research in to the ones you can imagine yourself doing- the courses you may have to take- salary, etc.
Hopefully it'll help.
I started out wanting to be a vet, to impressmy parents, but am happier as a teacher now!

Take care , Chrissy xXx
Angel_Fairy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby JennaXXX » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:01 pm

I agree there is a lot of pressure to decide what you want to do early on in your school life but theres really no need to panic just yet. Its great that you have an idea of what you want to do.Most people your age dont even have that!

Social work is a great idea thats what I hope to get into... For now just concentrate on doing your best at school and choosing subjects that you will enjoy and do well at. If I were you I would choose a mixture of subjects to take at gcse for example, One from humanties, One art subject and one technology subject. It helps keep your options open if you decide you want to take a different career path to the ones you are thinking about at the moment. Good luck and dont panic!
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to School, College & University