A-level film studies

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

A-level film studies

Postby f1fran05 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:51 pm

just asking, what do you do in the A level courses film studies?

And is it wrong for me to be taking loads of new subjects for a level as i will have only done RE at GCSE, and will not know what phychologyand film studies are like?

help!!!
remember 2 smile!
f1fran05
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby CFG » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:24 pm

It's unlikely that anyone has done things like film studies and phsycology at GCSE - they are generally A-level and onwards.

To be honest, I don't think your A-levels have that much of an impact on your future career choices, because most people tend to do three or four, then go on to uni and do something vaguely related. It's a good time to choose which subjects you enjoy most and are best at.

For example, I did Philosophy, Sociology and English Lang & Lit at A-level, and doing two years of these subjects meant that I knew which one of the three I was most interested in. If I'd gone to university (which I didn't, stupidly), I know I would have done a Sociology/Anthropology course. But before I started my A-levels, I'd never really thought about sociology as a future career option - it was only when I actually did it at college that I realised it was for me.

Read all the course outlines thoroughly. They'll give you an idea of what kind of topics are covered in each subject, and should also suggest future career options based on those subjects. Once you're actually doing your A-levels, keep an eye on university prospectuses (sp?) and find out what requirements each course has. I found that most courses at uni didn't really specify what subject you had to do at A-level - they just required certain grades (i.e. three Bs). Obviously, universities wouldn't recommend that you choose an English degree when you've done Chemistry, Maths and Sports Science at A-level, but really your results at A-level simply prove that you can work hard and get good grades, regardless of the subject.

Also, remember that you change a lot between starting and finishing your A-levels - you might start by doing Film Studies and find by the time you're at the end of the course that it wasn't really for you after all. But you won't have lost anything, because you'll still have the grade which you can use as proof that you are a hard worker.

I didn't go to uni and now I work in banking, so my A-levels weren't really relevant at all. But I still keenly study sociology at my own leisure, just for fun, and you should see people's faces when I say - "Yeah, I've got a Philosophy A-level..."! :wink:
CFG
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to School, College & University