I need to do something!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I need to do something!

Postby CFG » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:36 pm

All this talk of what everyone's thinking about doing after school and college has inspired me to do something I should have done two years ago. I would like some advice and suggestions on suitable options for someone in my position, please!

I have three A-levels (Sociology, Philosophy and Eglish Language & Lit) but didn't go to uni because I decided that I'd rather get some life/work experience. Going to uni seemed like the most obvious thing to do, and I wanted to use my own initiative and find my own way. At my sixth-form college all the UCAS applications and decisions were spoon-fed by the tutors, to the point where I was the only one who'd decided not to do a degree.

Anyway, two years on, I've had no luck in finding my own career niche. Most of the things I have a personal interest in, and I think I would enjoy working in, are things which do require a degree. But I've got myself in the position now where I can't go to university and be a full-time student (paying a mortgage, running a car etc). I have looked for jobs in which I can go to college on day-release, but I'm not getting anywhere with that either.

I've just sent a query to the Open University regarding a possible sociology/social science degree which I would happily do in my own time, but I wondered if anyone else has ever used the OU, or found another way round a similar situation?

Time to do something with these brain cells! :wink:
CFG
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby The Lost Soldier » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:32 pm

I heard from somewhere that the OU is being used more and more frequently these days, so perhaps some people will be able to help you out there. My dad is currently doing a Masters with London University. Everything is sent to him though the post and he does all his studying in his own time while keeping up a 9-5 job. Forunatly his business pays for him to take this degree but he only has to go to London for the exams which are at the end of each unit. Another option would be to look for an apprenticeship or try to agreee wiv an employer that you do the job and go to uni part time meaning you take a 3 year course in 5 years but keep a full/part-time job and get well paid.

Hope this helps.

TLS
The Lost Soldier
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Moose » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:31 pm

I'm in your position too, e.g. good qualifications up to A Levels, chose not to do the uni thing, moved out, bought a car, got financial commitments. I'm now doing a correspondence course in my spare time. It's not easy because after a full day's work, you don't want to do more study, but I'm doing okay (slowly!) and if you think you can stick it, then go for it.

Even if you don't do anything with your new qualification in the end, you will have got the best of both worlds: a full time job, and a good qualification.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby JennaXXX » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:29 pm

If you dont know what you want to do as a career cant you base your decision on the skills and experience that you have in a certain area? Failing that you could write down a list of jobs you are interested in and then try and get some work experience to see how you find it.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to School, College & University