college and a/s levels

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

college and a/s levels

Postby will1066 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:00 pm

does anyone here have any regrets about only taking a/s levels because im thinking about taking a/s levels for just this year then screwing college and getting into an apprenticeship... any ideas or stories?
will1066
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mew_mew_kitten » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:31 am

Absoloutely NO regrets. I am in my second year now, doing my A2 levels and have just applied to university. AS/A2 levels were just right for me, as I wanted to go to university, and I also enjoy looking at certain subjects in detail. I also didn't want a TOTAL transition into a vocational type course from school, as there were some aspects of school subjects that I liked (hence why I took biology, chemistry and english lang.)

It all depends on what you want to do. I wanted to go to university so I chose to study A-Levels. Although there are other qualifications you can also get into university with, A Levels are the most used and recognised. Can you not take an apprenticeship this year instead of wasting a year on subjects you might not even use? What is your eventual career aim/goal/job?

Also, a lot of my friends just did their AS levels last year and dropped out of college completely to get jobs. None of them are happy in what they're doing, but it may just be them? Nowadays its extremely rare if you can get any further than something like a supermarket job without further qualifications.....and even if you do it will take a long time to work your way up! I can see you plan on getting an apprenticeship but not too sure how they work!
mew_mew_kitten
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Lorelei » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:13 am

If you really want an apprenticeship in a particular trade, that's perfectly okay. Many people who learn trades become very successful in time.

Perhaps you should actually try to sort out an apprenticeship before you decide not to do A-levels. At least, you would then feel as if you had a definite plan and you were going somewhere. xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby luvva » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:10 pm

I've just started college, and I'm really enjoying the as levels that I've chosen, don't regret it at all. My brother though, he's a year above me and he picked completely different things to me.

He's doing an apprenticeship and really loves it. He did a year at college doing a bricklaying course and now he's started his apprenticeship. It is hard work, but he really wants to get into a job like that, so the experience is great.

I think you should go with whatever you want, as long as you try hard with it, I'm sure you'll do great.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:26 pm

Apprenticeships are great if you want to earn and learn at the same time. Maybe in the past snobs have looked down on people who have taken apprenticeships rather than gone down the classroom road, but once you have finished, you will either have a qualification and work experience (and loads of people find it difficult to get jobs as they don't have experience - vicious circle really), or if the company wants to give you an informal apprenticeship, you'll get a big chunk of work experience, and a secure job at the end of it.

Go to the job centre: companies are given grants so that they can afford to pay for you to get trained up, which the job centre can tell you and them all about.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Angel_Fairy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:28 pm

Heya. My friend did just that, even though she's happy she didn't stay on another year, she's in trouble because the apprentiship wasn't what she had in mind and has had a string of jobs that she hasn't been happy with. I'm not saying this will happen to you, but the more qualifications you have the better it may be for you. Obvi it's not my decision, but i'm glad i stayed on.
Good Luck x
Angel_Fairy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby CFG » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:07 am

Another late reply, but one of my sisters did the A-levels, went to uni, got the degree, came out of uni at 22 - and spent the next four years trundling aimlessly from rubbish job to rubbish job because she didn't have any experience.

But my other sister packed in A-levels after about a month. Everyone had a right go at her and told her she was ruining her life. She went to work in a logistics job which sent her to college one day a week. She is now 25, has a degree, earns upwards of £25k and has nine years work experience as well. And she's only two or three years older than most people just coming out of uni.

I tried to use their experiences to help me along - I finished the A-levels, but didn't go to uni, planning to get a job which would train me, re sister #2. The plan failed. However, people do raise an eyebrow when I say I have a Philosophy A-level!!

The point is, what works for some won't work for others. But if you finish the A-levels, you'll still only be 18, right? Bearing in mind that our generation is probably going to work until 70 in order to maintain a decent pension, 52 years should be long enough to work out what you want to do with your life :wink:
CFG
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to School, College & University