UCAS: deferring entries

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

UCAS: deferring entries

Postby KoRn_Freak » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:05 am

I have no desire to go to University straight after I've done college. I am really worried about going, mainly because of money and transport issues, and my mother isn't helping. Therefore I've decided to deferr my entry so that in the next year I can work full time to save up for a car, even if it is a rust bucket.

You see, I want to go to Chester University to do a creative writing with journalism degree combined course. My mum wants me to go to Manchester Uni, but they don't offer that course. I would do whatever it takes to go to Chester every day, and that means getting my license and paying for a car. My step dad seems more positive than my mum and is encouraging and supportive. My mother, on the other hand, is being very pessimistic and discouraging. But at the end of the day what is the use of doing a course just to suit her??

My step dad has sold his old Toyota 4x4. He's got about 3 and a half grand for it. My mum is now looking to go on holiday to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in the summer, using that money. We kind of had a mini argument this morning about university and a car, and it didn't even occur to me that I should have mentioned about her wasting that money on a posh beach holiday when it could give me a big head start with getting prepared for uni!

She's always banging on about saving money for a rainy day and keeping it safe so that I can use it when I need it. I'm on £30 EMA; it's coming up to Xmas- I'm saving and spending at the same time. It's hard to keep everything balanced, but I'm trying. On top of that, I need to save some money for driving lessons. Clearly she has no intention of helping me pay for them. But now we've acquired a chunk of money and she wants to go on a fancy holiday, and hasn't even considered that it might be useful to spend a bit of it on a little car and put half towards driving lessons.

If she's not going to help then I have no choice but to skip uni this year and work.

I hate to sound selfish, and I probably am being selfish. But I wish that money would help me.
We've got a long way to go; when snow hits the asphalt, cold looks and bad talk come...
We've got a long way to go; it's beyond Martin Luther: upgrade computer.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby *Ellis* » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:24 pm

I can understand where you are coming from. The advice I would give you though, speaking from experience, is to go with what you really want to do as you will only regret it in the future. If the course at Chester is what you really want to do, and you are prepared to wait a year before you can do it, go for it.

Maybe the reason your mum is seeming to be unsupportive is because she is worried that you will decide not to go to university at all after your gap year. It would be hard once you've got used to earning money to go back to being a poor student again. An option would be to get a job as a junior in a newspaper or magazine company to give you a bit of experience as to what the industry is like, it'll also look good on your CV, and you never know they may help out in financing your course!

It can be very frustrating to know that there is money going spare and you're not getting a look in, and I don't think you're being selfish wanting just a little of it. If your mum is opposed to the idea of you going to Chester then this may be why she isn't offering you any of the money. Is it a family holiday or just your mum and step-dad?

There's no point in dwelling on it too much and letting it effect your relationship with your mum. I'd just mention it to her, to be on the safe side if she would be willing to give you a couple of hundred of it to get you started on saving for lessons. If you aim low like this she may give you more, it's worth a try.

I'd sit her down and let her know that you really appreciate her views on what you should do after college, but that you are really set on the course at Chester and you are going to put all your energy into going there, even if it means taking a year out. If you let her know you are going to be adult about it and not argue, she may relent.

Wish you luck x
*Ellis*
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to School, College & University